Wanted - XS1B Color Matching Chip/Part

Most autobody supply places have a special colour-matching camera and if you can take in an OEM part, they can scan it and match it to a recent or current automotive paint colour and then mix up the paint for gun spraying or even in a spray can. I think they can do that with a photograph as well - but YMMV.

Anyhow, I wanted to paint my '78E model in the rare dark forest green colour and a forum member very kindly sent me an original sidecover in that shade. I took it to our local body supply place and they scanned it and determined that it is a match for a 1971 Opel paint colour (Opel is the German subsidiary of General Motors) and they were able to mix-up a can of paint and a couple of spray bombs for around $100. I sent my parts to Forum member Jim (by a mile the best painter I have ever met) - and wah-lah.....
Petes Betty Tank.png
Sidecovers_Betty.jpg

Most autobody supply places have a special colour-matching camera and if you can take in an OEM part, they can scan it and match it to a recent or current automotive paint colour and then mix up the paint for gun spraying or even in a spray can. I think they can do that with a photograph as well - but YMMV.

Anyhow, I wanted to paint my '78E model in the rare dark forest green colour and a forum member very kindly sent me an original sidecover in that shade. I took it to our local body supply place and they scanned it and determined that it is a match for a 1971 Opel paint colour (Opel is the German subsidiary of General Motors) and they were able to mix-up a can of paint and a couple of spray bombs for around $100. I sent my parts to Forum member Jim (by a mile the best painter I have ever met) - and wah-lah.....
View attachment 199794 View attachment 199795
Thats nice wow

Back