XS1B Texas Resurrection

View attachment 166567
I restored the XS1B's brake lever using (almost) all of the original parts. Still waiting for that critical part to come, and then I'll reveal what the rest of the bike currently looks like.

View attachment 166568
These steel parts give an idea of the condition the lever was in. One of the few parts that I didn't re-use was that threaded brass sleeve (red arrow). You can see how worn it is. That wear equals lever slop. As far as I know, that threaded sleeve is unobtainable, but I found a steel one in my Big Box O' Brake Junk.

View attachment 166569
Here are the steel parts after nickel plating. My plating has gotten MUCH better. I've completely re-done my plating set-up, and figured a lot of stuff out. I need to write an update for Jim's plating thread. Most of this stuff can be bought NOS on eBay, but what's the fun in that, and besides, the whole reason I started plating was so that I wouldn't be nickel-and-dimed and have to wait for shipping on little bits like this.

View attachment 166574
My one regret is that I didn't sand the head of this bolt (the long pivot bolt) smooth before I plated it.

View attachment 166575
For the handlebar pinch bolt I used a stainless steel bolt. I grinded the grade markings off of the head, and then wheel-polished it. This is extremely satisfying. It takes just a few short minutes to transform an ugly bolt into a perfect little gem.
BTW, I have to apologize to 5twins on this subject. A few years ago he was showing off some stainless bolt heads that he had done the same thing to, and I made fun of him, saying that "if you're polishing bolts, you have too much time on your hands." I take that back, and thanks for a great idea. I polish all of my stainless bolt heads now in situations where they show on bikes that matter.

View attachment 166653
That washer on the bottom of the brake light switch is the only other thing that I replaced. Replaced the rusty original with this big fender washer -- it's on the bottom, where no one will see it.
Just used regular black heat shrink tubing to replace the switch sheath. Could have bought reproduction silver sheath, but that would have meant spending money, and re-doing the two bullet connectors, and besides, it looks like the cabling on this bike will be a mix of black and silver anyway.
Very pretty!
Can't wait for the great unveiling....

To knock the stampings off stainless bolt heads now, I don't sand or grind anymore, I hit them with a medium, then fine Roloc disc. Makes very quick work of it. And as you've discovered, it is very satisfying to do these things up. They come out beautiful. I also recently bought some metric (M6 and M8) coupling nuts to use as holders for the bolts I'm polishing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-M6-M8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

DogBunny, I bought the set from Heiden tuning €40 (45USD), the only other option that I could find was JBM industries @ 74USD.

Despite the fact that I put in my order prior to the complete travel lock-down, it appears that my parts have been stuck with Post-Netherlands since Mar 30, probably waiting for a flight over here. Not Heiden's fault, just another sign of the crazy times...
Oddjob, did you ever get your carb boots from Heiden?
I ordered a set on May 1st. Two weeks later, on May 14, Heiden cancelled the order and refunded me. The reason given was:

hello we cannot deliver the product at this moment.sorry

If you go to Heiden's site, they still have the boots for sale, but they also have the following notification:

Placing orders temporarily not possible!
Due to the overwhelming number of orders, placing orders will only be possible again on Saturday May 16. Picking and shipping orders takes much longer due to less personel due to Covid-19 related quarantine. The supply from our suppliers is also a problem with Covid-19. If you have an account or create one on this website and are logged in, you can fill the shopping cart and it will be saved. Then you can place the order later when ordering is possible again. We are very sorry that we had to make this decision to ensure the quality of our services. We are confident that you will understand our decision to temporarily suspend ordering during this exceptional Covid-19 period.

Bummer. Fortunately for me, right after I put my order in, I discovered that I had a perfectly good pair of 70-73 carb boots that I had completely forgotten about. So, I'm all good.
Sorry to see Heiden having problems, they are a great company.

Hi DogBunny,

I placed my order in the third week of March and they shipped with a tracking number at the end of March...

Since then... it sat at PostNL for about a month, and it looks like it was probably placed in a container and shipped by sea (by PostNL) at the beginning of May... This is just a guess, but at least that's what I hope happened. Typical transit times would 2-3 weeks for a container so well see...

Covid has hit the Netherlands quite hard (as it has the entire world) so I'm not blaming anyone... Compassion, kindness, gratitude, etc. they all apply, not much I can do beyond that... :cheers:

upload_2020-5-14_10-34-40.png

Sorry to be late to this party Dogbunny - but, I think that I might have a nice replica emblem to fit on the RH sidecover.

Forum member RESTO made some cast pewter emblems for my cafe project a few years back and he kindly included some extra emblems in the package - and one of them looks just like the "XS-650" emblem on your left sidecover.

dsc02332-jpg.158604

Lemme know if you want it - free to a good home.

Pete

PS - How's about I trade-ya the emblem for your ElCamino....
Yeah, I didn't think so.

I'm not blaming anyone... Compassion, kindness, gratitude, etc. they all apply, not much I can do beyond that... :cheers:
Good attitude.
The shipping systems still work, they're just slowed down.
I think that I might have a nice replica emblem to fit on the RH sidecover.
Yes, thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Maybe I have something you can use.
Sending you a PM...

Hi DogBunny,

I placed my order in the third week of March and they shipped with a tracking number at the end of March...

Since then... it sat at PostNL for about a month, and it looks like it was probably placed in a container and shipped by sea (by PostNL) at the beginning of May... This is just a guess, but at least that's what I hope happened. Typical transit times would 2-3 weeks for a container so well see...

Covid has hit the Netherlands quite hard (as it has the entire world) so I'm not blaming anyone... Compassion, kindness, gratitude, etc. they all apply, not much I can do beyond that... :cheers:

View attachment 167002

I ordered something from Motone Customs in the UK in about mid-March and it arrived earlier this week.
Yikes!

Getting a bad spoke occasionally just happens. I've encountered it with several different sets for different bikes, from different makers, and in both stainless and cad plated. That's why I now immediately fit the nipples to every spoke when I get the set, just in case.

I just pulled all my rear spoke on my '72. The spokes and nipples all looked fine, came off easy. read the mention of the P/N of the Cad. spokes from China $22. I have the rears, p/n *****03. Had me running out to the garage. Those nipples feel interchangeable with the brass ones i just pulled off and the Yamaha rear spokes I put a light wire brush to. I may tumble clean the yellow nips on the rears and use them as my new Yamaha 306-25104-00 1610 Fronts have yellow Cad?? nips.

View attachment 165674
For the rubber front wheel plugs, I got a chance to try an idea that I've had for a long time. I used 1-3/8" locking black nylon hole plugs from McMaster-Carr. The holes in the hub are actually oval, and the nylon hole plugs are pretty rigid, so I had to cut relief slots into the walls of the nylon plugs as shown. Using a Dremel cut-off wheel, I cut four slots in each plug, spaced 90 degrees apart. The hub will accept the nylon plugs without the slots, but it distorts the plug. Even with the slots, it's not absolutely perfect, but it's pretty close, and looks very sharp.
I suppose that alternatively, you could make the oval holes in the hub round, but then you'd be irreversibly altering the stock hub.
I had to buy a package of 50 of those nylon plugs, so if anyone else wants to try this, I've got the plugs.
Thanks for selling me 7 of these. They look great.

DSC03212.jpg
Before...

DSC03212a.JPG

After.

DSC03213.jpg
Before...

DSC03213a.JPG

After.
Exactly 3 years later, and I've finally made a little more progress. The front end is almost completely restored and sorted. The forks, wheel, and tins in the pictures are just for mock-up. I have painted tins by Jim, polished front wheel and shaved forks, original XS1 fender, all ready to go.
The big deal here is that I have swapped in 35mm forks. Jim, 2M, and I have come up with a lot of solutions for the 35mm fork's brake plate stop. I have a new/old answer that I'll reveal if it works.
BTW, this is not the "win some, lose some XS1B" that I just started on -- that's a different XS1B project.

And so it begins.
This is the 1971 XS1B that was posted for sale two weeks ago.
Condition is not really good enough for this to warrant the time and money for a true restoration -- instead it will be a resurrection, but I do intend to make it nice.
I have about $400 including gas in it -- was 400 miles and an 8 hour round trip away.
My immediate need is for a seat. I can go a couple of ways with this -- I have a nice, complete, 1973 tin set that I could use, or I can use the existing tank and side covers. So, I can use any seat from 1970 to 1973, in any condition if anyone has one.
B T W the bike came with a rack that is probably pretty rare. It has some rust, but is otherwise pretty nice, if anyone is interested in it.

View attachment 158603

View attachment 158604
I

And so it begins.
This is the 1971 XS1B that was posted for sale two weeks ago.
Condition is not really good enough for this to warrant the time and money for a true restoration -- instead it will be a resurrection, but I do intend to make it nice.
I have about $400 including gas in it -- was 400 miles and an 8 hour round trip away.
My immediate need is for a seat. I can go a couple of ways with this -- I have a nice, complete, 1973 tin set that I could use, or I can use the existing tank and side covers. So, I can use any seat from 1970 to 1973, in any condition if anyone has one.
B T W the bike came with a rack that is probably pretty rare. It has some rust, but is otherwise pretty nice, if anyone is interested in it.

View attachment 158603

View attachment 158604
I think it would be a great candidate for a full resto ! especially at that starting price ! And a lot of fun doing it !

Looking good!

Diggin that blue.
Thanks, but, I already have a blue 1973 -- the Super RustBucket.
This one will be the correct for 1971 candy orange -- Jim already painted the tins.
I think it would be a great candidate for a full resto ! especially at that starting price ! And a lot of fun doing it !
Thanks, but this will be a resto-mod, not a resto. I've already changed the forks from 34 to 35mm.
This will be another lesson in doing things as cheaply as possible, except I'm going to make this one look nice. Pro cheapskate tip -- take any old piece of junk, put a nice tank, seat, and gauges on it, and suddenly it looks great. Get rid of every speck of rust -- wire wheel if off or paint over it. Voila.

Back