XS1b

Ipa62

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
just picked up a 71 XS1b. Interesting thing is that it is red, not a repaint, the painted parts look as if they have been on the bike a long time. Does anyone have info on red as an available color for that vintage. I am familiar with the orange and green. The bike is kick start and has front drum brake. Manufacturing date of 12/70.

12/70 Drum brake and date corresponds with an XS1B.............................red tins could have been swapped in

The more I look I'm thinking the tins, as you say, are 72. Do the rear shocks have painted covers in 72? Is the shape of the tank different between 71 and 72? On another subject, the front wheel rim is steel, the rear is alloy, is this typical?
Thanks for the info

Is it the same red as a 72 far as you can tell?
Although biult december of 70 leads me to believe its stock, somehow, some way.
A pick of the tank tunnel could help. A respray would be thin there.Perhaps there could be some gold showing through there.

Last edited:
Steel rim on a front drum is stock, but anyone could have swapped a alloy rim from the mid/late 70s at any time .
Sound like you have a bike were if something was broken, replace with what fits. What size is the rear rim? Stock for a 71 is 19"

Yes, look like the same red as 72, also the same stripping, which is different in 70 and 71. Also and if I remember correctly on the xs I owned 40 years ago, ouch, the xs1 and 1b had a twist off gas cap. This bike has the pop up cap.

My 71 has a flip cap. A po wanted red, since its a straight swap, your 71 is now red. But thats ok. The red looks good.

Yeah, red is not a problem, was just trying to figure out if I had a production oddity or??? I guess or, and like you say that's ok. Btw, the rear wheel is 16" , so this is not stock too, and also the handle bar. One of the great things about xs's is you can take them where you want them to be, I will head towards stock, at least as much as reasonable
Again, thanks for the info

Post some pics..............Good ones so we can help identify any oddities. .....................if you have an alloy 16" rear rim it will be off a 79SII, they are a rarity themselves................Please pics of the oddities and others to show the bike

This is the bike, shows about 15k miles, a few bits and pieces missing but mostly all there. paid $1200 for it. Has an Alaska plate.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 199
Welcome to the forum, lpa62. I had a chance to examine the Craigslist pics before the listing was pulled. Your bike has the earmarks of the early version of the 1971 XS1B, with the 4-bolt camchain tensioner and the unique reinforcing gussets where the left/rear of the cylinder meets the engine case. Member Angus67 has the same early XS1B variation.

...The more I look I'm thinking the tins, as you say, are 72.

The tank and sidecovers could be from a 72.

...Do the rear shocks have painted covers in 72?

No, they were exposed springs. 70-71 had painted covers.
Yours may be '71s, painted red.

...Is the shape of the tank different between 71 and 72?

No, they're mechanically identical. Just paint difference.
Same with sidecovers.

...On another subject, the front wheel rim is steel, the rear is alloy, is this typical?

Original XS1b:
Front rim is a 1.85 x 19", chromed steel.
Rear rim is a 2.15 x 18", chromed steel.

You've got a bit of frankenbike going on there.

The right handlebar control looks like XS2, with the kill switch.
XS1 and early XS1B have a simple dual-cable throttle housing, polished aluminum.
Later XS1B's have the same housing, painted black, like this:
ThrottlePosition.jpg

Here's pics of an XS1 and early XS1B left control, versus a black later XS1B.
XS1B-LeftSwitch01.jpg XS1B-LeftSwitch02.jpg

The seat doesn't look correct. It could help if you could post pics of the underside of the seat, and the battery tray area.

Here's a pic of Angus67's battery tray area and seat underside.
Our 70-71 models used a smaller/narrower battery (kickstart only) compared to the XS2 and laters.
Angus67-71XS1B01.jpg Angus67-71XS1B02.jpg

Because of the smaller battery, the rectangular depression in our seat pans is a bit smaller than the later XS2. Here's clearer pics of the depression area on another XS1B and my XS1B seat pan:
XS1B-Seat_2015-03-20.jpg XS1B-SeatPan01.jpg

For comparison, here's pics of XS2 seat pans:
XS2-Seat.jpgXS2-Seat-BumperMod.jpg
(Notice the exposed shock springs)

Hopefully, you can see the slightly larger battery clearance depression...

Last edited:
Another item to check is the instruments.
The 70-71 XS1's have chromed all-plastic instrument housings.
The 72-73 XS2 and TX650 have chromed metal housings.
The telltale sign is the bezel trim.
Bezel trim on the 70-71s are flat/angled textured plastic.
Bezel trim on the 72-73s are rounded rubber.
This pic should show the difference:
Bezels-XS1-XS2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks TwoMany for all the valuable info. yes the handle bar and controls need to be sorted out, I will go back to stock, maybe you have some thoughts what to look for in stock bars, size/shape etc. Pretty certain the tank and side covers are 72 and not repainted, the head lamp bucket and shock housings look like a repaint. Will look closer at the seat and battery tray, good info.

Back