XS1F fork help...

Gunnar S

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
When I bought my XS1F this November, it was sitting on a pallet with all the bits and pieces in a box next to it...
The forks were open and not on the bike, so I tried ordering parts for them, since I wanted to repack them anyway.
The inner tube, outer tube, and the internals are ok, but I can't figure out the little bits around the upper cover.
From left to right the part numbers that I ordered are:
256-23122-60 outer cover
256-23163-60 packing, lamp stay (?)
256-23116-61 guide, cover under (this doesn't fit there at all, the inner diameter is 32mm and the fork is 34mm)
Cover upper (this was on the bike already)
168-23115-00 guide, cover upper
214-23114-00 packing (this is an o-ring, is it supposed to go in the inner tube or on the fork bolt cap?)
256-23112-61 washer, cap
256-23111-60 bolt, cap

full

What makes the most problems are the upper and lower guides.
These are both flanged on the outer rim, as if they are supposed to mate with something and lock the cover in a fixed position in relation to the forks' inner tube.
The lower guide must be the wrong part, as the inner diameter is smaller than my inner tube and the outer "mating" part is wider than everything else that has to do with the forks.
The upper guide does not seem to fit well with anything either.
It plays nicely with the fork cap and washer, but I think (PLEASE let me know if I am wrong) it is supposed to sit between the cover and the top of the triple tree, where it doesn't mate with any of the surfaces, and doesn't make a guide at all...
I noticed the inner tube I have sitting on my kitchen counter says "forking by frank", so maybe I don't have the original fork? Can't see how that should affect these exterior problems though...
My right covers' outer diameter is 42.5mm on the bottom and 43mm on the top.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get my forks, covers and triple tree to become a solid unit again?
Alternate part numbers?

Last edited:
Not sure about part numbers. I just took my upper forks off the bike and kept them bits in order. I'll snap a pic and post it up if it helps

May help No guarantee, sometimes these parts files aren't exact
Thank you :) It is the one I used when I ordered the parts. It is sufficient if you already have the bits and pieces, but I don't feel it is detailed enough.
I can't determine if part 18 has a small flange, for instance.
I do think I found the correct bottom cover guides in a box yesterday, but I would still like to see a real picture of the parts involved.

And now I think I found one of the upper guides, but can't tell for sure since it is in a bad state.
On the left you can see what I think they are supposed to look like, and on the right we have what ebayers sold me (from the correct part numbers).
Top row = #18 from the exploded view that @650Skull provided.
Bottom row = #15

Thank you, @vr3506, it looks like I have the right parts sorted for the bottom, and I have one broken upper guide :laugh2:
If I can't find the parts, I'll ask some of my engineer friends if they can help.
Maybe 3D-print them?

Gunnar,

which part do you mean by broken upper guide? Picture of the part?

Regards Jan
I just meant that I could tell from your pics that I had found the old (correct) parts in my bucket, but I could only find one upper guide - and it's broken.
My old lower guides aren't great either, since they are a bit egg-shaped.
They are supposed to hold the headlight in place, and I'd prefer new parts for this restoration.
Here is a picture of the broken upper guide I found, I don't know how it ended up that way :)

Sorry for the delay. I was working all weekend.

This is one side of the headlight ears on my '71. This is how it was when I disassembled it. Not sure if it was changed from factory specs by one of the previous owners.

This is the right side, top to bottom, everything that was between the upper and lower triple clamps (or yokes). Chromed ring, headlight mounting ear, chromed ring, rubber gasket and reflector mount.

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 159
Here is a close up of the bottom chrome ring and rubber gasket. The chrome ring is beveled. The narrow side fits over the end of the headlight ear tube. The wider side has the gasket sitting into it so that the flat base of the gasket sits flush against the top of the reflector mount.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 160
Based on the schematic that 650Skull posted, the order of the parts in my first picture, from top to bottom:

18 - Chrome ring
16 - Headlight ear
15 - Beveled chrome ring
14 - Gasket
13 - Reflector mount

In the schematic #19 is a small shaped washer that sits on the top of the inner spring (#3). #20 is the washer that fits on the top cap #21.

Thank you, @SurlyBoy, very informative pictures :)
I got my card out and ordered a used assembly off ebay, hope the parts are in decent condition :fingerscrossed:
A little bit overkill, but I wasn't able to find the upper guide anywhere, and the used assembly included the ears so I get a couple spares :laugh2:
PS: I think #19 is an o-ring, and the shaped washer that goes on top of the spring is #5?

Back