XS2 Clutch with hydraulic slave.

mortenraun

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody.

First of all i have to apologize for my writing skills. English is not my first language and my problem is fairly hard to explain.

I am riding a XS2. I have fitted a hydraulic clutch slave from a Kawasaki ZRX 1200, with a Nissin 16mm master. I was running fine for 10.000,- km. Then i was going to change my clutch plates with a new set from Mike's. And fit a new Brembo Serie oro 16mm slave. With a bit of hassle and adaption I got it all fitted and ventilated. Now when the bike is off. The clutch is engaging and there is full actuation.
But when I start the engine the clutch "looses grip" momentarily and doesn't actuate. After about 10 seconds "preassure" builds again and its able to disengage once again. I took the bike for a short slow testride and once the same thing happened again.
I have checked the hydraulic system several times and I can almost guarantee that there is no air in the system and nok leaks.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Once again thank you for a great forum and all the help I have been getting.

Kr. Morten

A couple of things that comes to mind is that the master cylinder may not be releasing the pressure like it should or if your information is correct in that you are using a 16mm master and a 16mm slave then you could be running into a situation where you are trying to over extend the pressure plate and getting some kind of binding in the clutch which is not allowing the pressure plate to return to the normal position and clamp the friction and steel plates together. Honestly I am thinking that the part about the slave cylinder being 16mm is in error and you were referring to the master cylinder again. A question for you is with the bike off does the clutch engage normally every time. If not I would suggest to do the following:

1) hook up a hose as if you were going to bleed the system
2) pull the lever on the clutch master cylinder and release a couple of times
3) with the lever released open the bleeder screw and see if you get fluid out of the slave cylinder under pressure.

If you find that you have fluid come out of the bleeder screw under pressure it may be time to disassemble your master cylinder and clean the passage ways to allow it to release the pressure as it should.

Back