XS2 Electrics

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

I am rebuilding an XS2 as a flat tracker from scratch and need to confirm a couple of things.
The 6 way cable connector from the alternator has a seperate wire coming from the alternator up the same sheath. Is this the alternator star point connection and should it be connected to ground?
Do the new combined regulator/rectifiers work okay with the XS2 alternator? I have fitted one but the output is up and down a bit at revs below 3000.
Are the XS2 alternators very reliable?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tim.

- i dont have an XS2 here to double check these but i have an XS2 manual with a wiring diagram

- the XS2 wiring diagram shows 3x white...field wires, 1x green...regulator pos, 1x black...earth, 1x sky blue...neutral switch, there is also a yellow wire coming from here to the safety relay

- these are old bikes now, still most problems stem from brushes and dodgy batteries

- my mates wife just installed a combi rec-reg in her XS2 and it seems to be working fine so far

Is the safety relay built in to the voltage regulator?
The wiring diagram I have is pretty bad.

Tim.

- no - the safety relay is connected to the starter switch/cell switch...blue/white, generator...yellow, earth... black, kill switch...red or brown

This is a real mystery then.
I have a Haynes manual and it has 'safety relay' written on the wiring diagram but it doesn't relate to any part or wiring. I thought it could be a misprint or related to the XS650B.
I need to find an original XS2 to have a look.

Tim.

- in the haynes manual the safety relay is pictured as the little box by the earthed relay coil coming off the alternator, just to the left of 'OFF' and above 'red'...the label has been shifted up when inserting the 'Main Switch' table

- its function is to cut power to the starter motor when the alternator is producing power

- better manuals for you would be
the XS1 manual or the green XS1B manual plus the XS2 Supplementary Manual...picture quality is excellent​

P2020001.jpg

or 1 of these...the bright yellow one Lit..11613-06-01 has some interesting Tech Bulletins in the back that the other doesnt, Lit..11612-56-99​

P2020002.jpg

- i sourced these on ebay pretty cheaply some years ago

Many thanks for that.
I thought that was just a connector.
Do you have a part number for the safety relay? I bought the Yamaha part diagrams for the XS2 to get the numbers for parts I needed but the relay doesn't appear to be in it, unless I am either blind or stupid....................or more likely both!
Many thanks.

Tim.

Here is a good diagram, this may help

Attachments

• 10703-72xs-73tx_650~0.jpg
    10703-72xs-73tx_650~0.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 422
- hmm...cant find my XS2 parts book :wtf:, however the TX650A has basically the same thing with part # 447-81950-10

- in truth however, unless youre rebuilding to original there is no real need for this part - its there to stop you trying to start the bike while its already running :shrug:

Last edited:
Yes, I thought it wasn't totally necessary. I just wondered if the fact that it is the generator Neutral/star point supplying a coil it might affect the generator output.
Also could discharge battery? I don't know.

Many thanks.

Tim.

- if you clip the wire from the alternator and isolate it no current will pass...in practice the wire feeds a coil, which inductively-or rather, electromagnetically-operates the relay switch, and then goes to earth

Many thanks for that.
It may help my charging problem as I had it connected to neutral thinking it was the generator star point and we always have earth neutral links on generators I use at work.

Tim

beer is forever, hangovers are temporary

Hi

here's the part number for the safety relay, 306-81950-10-00. The one on thie picture is for 74-77 XS but it should look like that.

!Bd40u9!Bmk~$(KGrHqEOKisEq4LZ-27RBK662CDJZ!~~_35.jpg

This looks like an old post, but I am looking for safety relay information.

Can anyone tell me if I am working with a stock replacement harness for an XS2, if I would need to add any wiring or alter anything if I were to omit the safety relay. I am wondering if something is needed to complete the starter circuit to get it to work without the relay. It looks like most of the simple wiring diagrams show the yellow lead from the alternator capped, is this all I need to do?

Thanks for any help.

Also, I have another post under the electrical category asking about the possibility of using the stock relay if you have any input on that. At this point I am just trying to find a workable solution.

The safety relay not only keeps you from running the starter while the engine is running, it also shuts the starter off as the engine starts, this keeps from overrunning the starter gears, thus preventing premature gear failure.
To eliminate the safety relay, remove the relay, cap off the yellow wire, put in a jumper from the brown wire to the blue/white wire.

Back