motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rod 1.jpg
Rod 2.jpg
Rod 3.jpg
Help'n my old army buddy. Back in the late 80's I answered a newspaper ad ( remember those ! ) about a 72' Xs2. Widow, husband was first owner, less then 5000 miles. Sat in a garden shed for 6 years. So with a battery, check'd the fluids,, about the 6th kick it was running. $650,oo and it was mine.
Many years later events outside my control ..aka the soon to be X wife ... required I sale the bike. Sold it to a buddy. Now with over 20,000 miles it has started to leak a little oil from around the head gasket. A re-torque didn't help. Ran well but if it sat for awhile it would huff blue out the right pipe. But if ridden often no huff'n.
So since our ride'n season is toast.... :( ..... pull'd the engine. I was very surprised as to the condition of the cam chain guild.. Excellent ! I still told him to get a new one.. this one looks great but is original and who knows how much time before it goes south.
He ask'd about replace'n the points.. but I told him he doesn't ride it enough to warrant the cost. Once the parts hit his door step.... gaskets, seals, 2nd over pistons....misc related bits... we'll continue with the project.
Xs 2 field.jpg
The photo of the XS2 is one we did for a client this summer. I think the 72' year was the best looking of the series.

Rodney Xs motor 1.jpg
Rodney Xs motor 4.jpg
Rodney Xs motor 2.jpg
...Got the cylinders bored 2nd over.. I did the valve work... tonight we slap'd it all together....once the battery box is cleaned and the area of the frame the engine sits.. is painted.. we'll toss the engine in the frame.. secure all the other bits and.. cross your fingers. :)

Looks like a nice project. Your buddy's name isn't Ron by chance. I am from MPLS originaly and also know Mark from the VJMC. He may remember my Z1 bikes.Good luck with the engine.

Rodney.. old army buddy ... can't believe it's been 45years.. gadzooks.... Mark is still in River Falls, Wis., buff'n and paint'n..I put in a few hrs a week.. get paid mostly with lunch

Oh ya Rodney, i ran into him about 8 years ago and he had the XS2 and I just finished mine. Lost track of him. I have been in Idaho for several years. So is it Rodneys bike you are working on. Tell him Wayne says hi. I used to live in north Minneapolis.

Rodney diapharme.jpg
.... it just keeps get'n more fun fun fun....took the Rodeny's carbs apart.. ' it ran, ok..kind off.." he said...

Today was " First Start ".. Excitement abounds ! After the carbs were rebuilt... the top end with 2nd over pistons... valve work, seals..gaskets. OOooh.... minutes away. Toss'd on the gas tank.. turned the petcocks on... WT?.. Na Da.. nothing. Told my buddy we'll have to pull the petcocks and clean them. He replied.. " why don't we put on the new ones I ordered..? " Grrrr (Note: luckily, for my buddy, a ball peen wasn't within arms reach).
Pull'd the old nasty petcocks.. when to toss on the shiny new petcocks.. WT?... they sent two lefts. Aaaargh
Went to set the points and I use either a buzz box or a 12 volt test probe light. Neither of which my buddy has. Grrrr (Note: see previous ball peen note). So I had to set the points with my suspect bifocal vision.
The good news.... the bike does start and run.... the usual post build gremlins need to be hammer'd. No proper test ride can be done.. overnight 4 inches of white global warm'n fell and it was 11 below outside the shop door.

Back