XS2 Problem

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am almost completed my first restore. The bike start with no problem. I have the filters off and I noticed the carb slides are not moving when I give it gas. Is that normal? It acts like it is not getting enough gas. It does idle ok. I replaced the slides and diagrams with new ones but I did have a hard time getting the diagram into the notch as I was putting on the cover. It would not lay flat like the old ones. Could that be my problem? I did spend a lot of time cleaning the carbs but I think I am going to take them off and recheck them. It almost acts like it is not getting enough gas. I pushed up on one slide and the engine sounded much better.
What type of problems would you get if the diagram is not in the proper spot?
Thanks.
Bill

It would not lay flat like the old ones. Could that be my problem?
Yes. I think the first thing I'd do is pop the caps off and have a look. You could do the slide drop test first, and that would most likely confirm what you already suspect.... the diaphragm's are leaking.

At the top of the carb... there's a slop'n curve opening.... push the slide up..place your thumb over the curve opening.... the slide shouldn't drop... or drop very slowly... if it drops quickly.. tear or not properly install diaphragm. When we rebuild carbs,,, they get replaced along with the floats as preventive care. It's a major oral vacuum (SUCKS) when you finish the project only to have stuff to come back to bite you in the butt. Same with fuel tank paint.... we're going to treat it inside and seal it.

Back