XS2 safety relay, solenoid, starter wires

scobman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi folks,
My '72 XS2 safety relay switch has 2 brown wires (one has female connector, one has male connector) and a yellow and black wire.
I know where the yellow and black wires go,
But those 2 darn brown wires, where do they go ?????
The clymers manual and all the other wire schematics Im finding show the safety relay having a blue/white wire, a brown wire, yellow and black.

Most of my work and knowledge is in the XS1 and XS1b which dont have the electric starter, I dont want to fry any of my xs2 wires, so can you please help ??

Thanks

although the colors aren't right the two browns you have should go to the same locations as the wiring diagrams. With the key on you should have power on both brown wires when connected to the relay. One wire should come from the kill switch (which also should go to the coils) and that should be 12V with the key on. Power flows through the safety relay and out the other brown to the starter button. Pushing the starter button sends 12V to the solenoid. When the bike starts the safety relay breaks the connection between the two brown wires within the safety relay so the starter button/solenoid will not function. This is all based on the XS2 wiring diagram in the tech section.

although the colors aren't right the two browns you have should go to the same locations as the wiring diagrams. With the key on you should have power on both brown wires when connected to the relay. One wire should come from the kill switch (which also should go to the coils) and that should be 12V with the key on. Power flows through the safety relay and out the other brown to the starter button. Pushing the starter button sends 12V to the solenoid. When the bike starts the safety relay breaks the connection between the two brown wires within the safety relay so the starter button/solenoid will not function. This is all based on the XS2 wiring diagram in the tech section.

Thanks,
"Power flows through the safety relay and out the other brown to the starter button."

The starter button in my case is the decompression lever. (blue with white line wire)
The lever is pulled and the metal lip of the lever contacts 2 other metal points that the blue with white line wire is soldered to.

That blue with white line wire comes from the lever assembly loom of wires and connects into the beginning of the harness into the blue with white line wire DOUBLE connector (inside the headlight) But there is only 1 blue/white wire from the lever inside the headlight, so that leaves one blue/white connector from the double connector empty.
Then thru the harness the blue/white wire comes out at the solenoid location.
The solenoid has a blue/white wire coming off of it.
The solenoid also has a brown wire coming off of it.
MIKESXS replacement relay has a blue/white and a red/white wire coming off of it, so again another change of wire colors.

I know how it all works bro,

i was kinda looking for this:
"brown safety relay wire with female connector connects to ???
....... 2nd blue/white connector in the double connector in the headlight has the lever blue/white wire and ??? wire connecting to it.

Red wire and brown wire tied together that come out of the loom at the same location as the coil wires connects to ???
cuase then you pull the decomp lever and it says "click" and thats it,

Dumb it down for me,

blue/white solenoid wire
brown solenoid wire
blue/white harness wire appearing at solenoid location
brown wire appearing at solenoid location
double blue/white wire connector inside headlight
blue/white wire from decomp lever assembly
brown wire from decomp lever assembly

PICTURE #1 (at solenoid switch)
The wires and connectors here look obvious, or are they ???
assuming the blue/white connects to the blue/white and the brown connects to the brown and the red taps into the solenoid with the battery lead wire to solenoid, we move on to another area.
starterwires004.jpg

PICTURE #2 (Inside headlight)
Red/white wire + blue/white wire + brown wire coming out of the braided covering are the decompression lever switch assembly wires.
The blue/white wire with DOUBLE connector end comes out of the main harness.
I have the blue/white lever wire connected into one of the blue/white double connectors leaving one connector empty. WHAT GOES IN THAT 2ND CONNECTOR SLOT ???
I have the red/white wire connected to the red/white single connector wire from the harness. And the brown lever assembly wire is unconnected.
The ignition or "key on" 12v red/white - red/yellow wires are are connected thru a plastic harness connector.
starterwires002.jpg

PICTURE #3 (At backbone just above where the carbs would be)

The last picture shows a red/white wire and a brown wire tied together with a double connector. Also shows in the braided covering a female end brown wire and a male end wire, THOSE ARE THE SAFETY RELAY WIRES.
In this scenerio we have 1 male and 1 female end ---- and a double connector female end. so that means the wires dont all connect properly or color coordinated.
Since these wires dont jive together, the only other wires the safety relay wires can reach are the wires at the solenoid. (But we have the wires at the solenoid assumed as obvious correct connections because the ends and colors match)
.............. and what about the empty connector slot in the double blue/white connector inside of the headlight ???

starterwires003.jpg

i could just start plugging different wires until i see smoke my friend .....

Since we both know how the circuit works,
if you can identify wire for wire where each one goes and the starter works, than your the better man, and im the dumbass. lol
You know how electrical makes a persons hair stand on end, so I do apreciate somebodies help and Im not hostile towards you my friend, its those damn wires.
:)

all my wires are organized, as you can see I have braided wire coverings grouping my wire together in each seperate wire assembly loom.
So Im not dealing with a birds nest of wires.

the harness, my componets and every wire are genuine oem yamaha 1972 xs2 part numbers.
I gotta be missing something in the wiring, ???

I know this is a tough one guys,
even for you "experts"
ive provided the pictures, and detailed how it all doesnt connect together.
Be the expert and solve the mystery.
I dunno much about any other motorcycles, but the 1970-71 yamaha xs1 and xs1b ... I might be an expert, they dont have electric starters.

In picture 3 with the empty double connector where does the red/white go to? Where does the brown go to?

the empty double connector: (positive current 12v)
connecting a wire from the red/white and brown double connector to the "picture #1" red fused wire completes the circuit. Ohms meter tested.

red/white and brown double connector jumped to the brown wire from the harness in picture #1 completes the circuit, ohms meter tested.

brown wire from solenoid (mikesxs relay the wire is red/white) connects to one of the safety relay brown wires.
brown wire from harness at solenoid location connects to the other brown safety relay wire.
With wires connected as stated above,
ohms meter black wire touching blue/white solenoid solder spot and the red ohms meter wire frame grounded reads 1...... then when pulling the decomp lever the meter reads 0.00 so the switch is operating at the solenoid.
so that does it,
i dont have a battery hooked up yet, but ive seen enough to confirm the wire connections.
I'll take some pictures of the correct wire connects.
I dont have the positive wire from battery to solenoid terminal with branch off positive wire yet, I'll need to order it or make it if I have the right gauge wire and stuff.

next post will be pictures of the connections.
DAMN, I need a new strator too. Oooch $200
But that would finish me up on this bike, 4 finished bikes and 1/2 to go.

will fabricate battery to solenoid terminal positive wire. positive lead coming off of that to red/white and the brown double connector.
the other solenoid terminal should give a 12v reading which would be where the starter positive wire connects.
so we are all good, starter confirmed good by jumping it directly off a 12v battery already
THANKS

Folks
Does anyone have an aftermarket part number for the starter safety relay please / Bosch / hella /other

Back