XS2 special concerns? Known problems?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve always had a soft spot for the 1972 XS2’s. I was all set to go to California and pick one up when I was first searching for a 650. The classic red and white one.
I’ve since kinda got the feeling that the early bikes can be a little a little problematic regarding some one off parts, parts availability?
If I were to ever look for one, are there any known issues for that model?
Known issues for that motor?
Parts availability problems?
Signed Curious in Arizona

Yes, there are a few things and you mentioned them. The front disc was a one year only item. It doesn't bolt to the wheel like all the later models, it's carrier fits into slots in the hub. That would be no big deal but there are also rubber pads or shims fitted in those slots, and they are N.L.A. The problem is they are often missing or worn out.

All the '73 and older "256" motors are harder to get parts for, more expensive too. The top eyes on the rods can be a problem because they're thinner and can wear out quicker.

There are ways around this stuff, but the bike won't be original anymore. For instance, you could swap in a whole newer "447" motor, or at the very least, a "447" crank, rods, pistons, and cam. The front wheel could be swapped for a newer one that uses a bolt-on disc.

Some of the parts are getting a bit hard to find like tank,fenders and seat pans. Gages are going to be a problem also. I was lucky to come across two XS2 bikes that I purchased form someone who was going to restore. Between the two of them they had various problems. I would have liked
xs2 eng copy 2.jpg
to restore both but common sense and funds came into play. I ended up taking the best of both. One of the engines was locked. The XS2 has a plug which I think they used to balance the starter gear on the crank. This plug came all the way out and locked the engine. When I looked at the second engine the plug was also loose and I could move it back and forth. Both engines had about 12,000 miles on them. The 447 engine does not use this plug and the gear is solid. I think this is the only problem with the XS2 256 engine other than the small end on the rod that 5 twins mentioned. I have seen many 447 rods with the same problem however. I have heard that some have been able to tighten this plug probably by peening the sides until it does not move, while this tightens the plug it does not correct the problem from happening again. To eliminate the problem I decided to use a 447 crank. I also wanted to keep the longer rod of the 256 engine. I purched NOS 256 rods and sent the crank to Falicon to be rebuilt using the 256 rods, new bearings, and had the crank welded. My intent was to keep the 256 characteristics. The 447 crank uses a different number of teeth at the crank sprocket. I wanted to keep the 256 cam so I sent the cam to Megacycle cams and had them install their press on collar which accepts their adjustable cam sprocket for the 447 engine. All the other cam parts were upgraded to the newer style engine. I also made rubber inserts for the front disc set up, so far so good. I think the XS2 is one of the best looking of the years
so if you come across one thats in resaonable shape I woluld jump on it. It may be a challenge if the parts are badly damaged.

Last edited:
Both those bike are in great condition. Still a bit on the high end. The one that says its a 71 looks to be the best, only 5,500 miles on it, i would be real tempted to jump on it. Gotta get rid of that seat and handle bars on the second. He is proud of that seat however. I was just down there 3 weeks ago. Would have been interesting to check them out.

Last edited:
Some of the parts are getting a bit hard to find like tank,fenders and seat pans. Gages are going to be a problem also. I was lucky to come across two XS2 bikes that I purchased form someone who was going to restore. Between the two of them they had various problems. I would have liked View attachment 114218 to restore both but common sense and funds came into play. I ended up taking the best of both. One of the engines was locked. The XS2 has a plug which I think they used to balance the starter gear on the crank. This plug came all the way out and locked the engine. When I looked at the second engine the plug was also loose and I could move it back and forth. Both engines had about 12,000 miles on them. The 447 engine does not use this plug and the gear is solid. I think this is the only problem with the XS2 256 engine other than the small end on the rod that 5 twins mentioned. I have seen many 447 rods with the same problem however. I have heard that some have been able to tighten this plug probably by peening the sides until it does not move, while this tightens the plug it does not correct the problem from happening again. To eliminate the problem I decided to use a 447 crank. I also wanted to keep the longer rod of the 256 engine. I purched NOS 256 rods and sent the crank to Falicon to be rebuilt using the 256 rods, new bearings, and had the crank welded. My intent was to keep the 256 characteristics. The 447 crank uses a different number of teeth at the crank sprocket. I wanted to keep the 256 cam so I sent the cam to Megacycle cams and had them install their press on collar which accepts their adjustable cam sprocket for the 447 engine. All the other cam parts were upgraded to the newer style engine. I also made rubber inserts for the front disc set up, so far so good. I think the XS2 is one of the best looking of the years
so if you come across one thats in resaonable shape I woluld jump on it. It may be a challenge if the parts are badly damaged.

Thank you you Cra-Z1 for taking the time to give that detailed assessment. I think you are probably a more accomplished mechanic than I. I have seen your handiwork and your bikes look museum worthy.

Yeah Daniel, as I said, I have always admired/ wanted a red and white XS2, and wouldn't you know there is a beautiful ,low miles example for sale just miss from my house. Just don't know if I can swing it just yet. Plus I am concerned about buying a money pit. That's why I started this post.

Both those bike are in great condition. Still a bit on the high end. The one that says its a 71 looks to be the best, only 5,500 miles on it, i would be real tempted to jump on it. Gotta get rid of that seat and handle bars on the second. He is proud of that seat however. I was just down there 3 weeks ago. Would have been interesting to check them out.

Yeah, all that easy rider stuff would have to go, therefore jacking up the resto cost. However it might just be the better maintained bike, cause the guy is the original owner and proud of that bike.

I like the guys last comment in the second ad....
"This bike was not meant to be chopped and turned into a chopper or bobber, this is an Historical 41 year old Classic Motorcycle."
My kinda guy.:)

The other one does look real nice the one that says its a 71. I just sent a text to my friend to look at it.

Xs 72.jpg

The 72'..the best look'n model year of the XS line. I'v notice on crudlist and ebay.. they are start'n to move up in price. As always.. condition..condition..and. :)
A proper (red) paint job and chrome work for all of the various bits.. at least $3000.oo, add engine, powder coat, etc etc.. and it adds up.. But when done.. the 72' just " pops' " :) The rear fender bracket.. usually cracks-breaks at the shock mount.. easy weld-rechrome. Parts are start'n to be difficult to find. So it be best to start with a complete, well sorted purchase. It would save you time and money dur'n the restoration. Or refresh'n. Great for back roads and sunday outings. We spent a week at Yellowstone and a week at Tail of the Dragon (photo). I traded a Sr500 for it and then about two years ago I gave it away for $2500.oo. Dang.. should have kept it.

I wonder if its legit. It was posted 13 days ago. I left a message to find out more about it. We will see.

I’ve since kinda got the feeling that the early bikes can be a little a little problematic
It really grew up as production went along and the latest years (Specials) are really best from a mechanical point of view. Including many subtle improvements that you'd never dream of that 6T brings up now and then.

I read all the same comments/“concerns” about the bottom end and rods on google search while building a xs2 on a budget a few years ago. If I recall a later crank and rod can be used if necessary. ...so I bought on cheap from ebay. Bottom line is I never used that crank. I lapped the vlaves adjusted the cam chain, adjusted the valves. Etc. ran a pamco unit, new stock ohm coil, jetted a set of later bs38’s and made some exhaust for it. That thing ran! I was very impressed. I would beat on that engine and it never skipped a beat.

Back