xs2: starter system screeching.

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I have finally put all of the xs2 back together – that is all the electrics are finally connected up and all the control cables fitted. Fitted a new set of starter gears/spring behind the clutch. As the started system was known to be not working or making a noise.
Having never actually seen anything working on this bike it was time to find out whats the score.

So all lights work etc which was a good start. Nice spark on the plugs.....

The time had come to see if the electric starter would turn the engine over without the plugs in....

All I got was a screeching noise from the starter motor (I think). Engine not turning over.

I have read that excellent thread on the starter system.

So before I start to look at the problem can anybody point me in the right direction. I assume the starter motor has fried.... or needs attention ..... but before I drain the oil and pull the thing off is this the right place to check.

Thanks
Nairb

New starter gears + spring. Think I did fit it all correct.

Sounds like something is stuck. Engine turns over fine on the kick starter. Really dont want to have to pull the clutch cover off to look. Its all oil tight. Should have tested it all before putting oil in and clutch cover on. But I might have now found the original fault.

I finally took the clutch cover off. Ruining those nice new gaskets. Took the clutch off in case I have cocked up when fitting the new bendix gear/springs. tried the starter again and still had the screeching noise. Bit like an air gun doing up wheel nuts. Engine almost turning over.
Took the starter motor off...... re-connected the thing to the starter relay and earthed it back to the battery.... tried the starter and the starter motor did turn over and then gave a screeching noise.
So I guess its the starter motor. I have taken the thing apart. There are no obvious issues except the end bearing seems worn.

But I suspect a new starter motor would run without a screeching noise....

Back