XS2 Vs XS 650 Triple tree steering pin length

hardhat_harry

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my basket case XS-2 I wanted the later front end so I did a swap for the later XS650 35mm triple tree and forks. I have bolted it all together and found that the steering pin is longer on the XS650 and doesn't sit right in the frame.

I have also bought the earlier 34mm triple trees but XS650 not XS2 and found the pin is too long also.

Since then I have seen eBay adverts quoting XS1, XS2, XS650 triple trees as if they are all compatible.

My question is, is the XS2 steering pin shorter than the XS650, and if so does any other yamaha share the same steering pin as the XS-2 so I can push it into the later triples?

Thanks for any help

From 70-73 they used trees with a shorter stem. They made a bunch of mods in 74 to the bike to improve the handling. Extra frame bracing and a longer steering stem were part of the mods. The early stem is about 5/8 inch shorter.
Using the 35 mm forks is a good upgrade. It uses better brakes.
The best may to use the trees is to remove the stems from a 70-73 tree and a 77 up tree. Put the short stem from the 70-73 tree in to the 77 up tree.
This way your 77 up trees bolt in right to the frame. Doing the tapered roller bearings is a good idea too.
Leo

At the top of the stem below the threads it gets larger. A machine shop could turn it down at the size just below the threads before it gets larger and thread it farther down.
Leo

I have a lathe and I can turn it down but I first need to press the stem out.

Looking for someone with a large enough press. I will need also have to tap the thread which the retaining rings sit on or make a spacer.

On the stem there is a smooth section above the threads, clamp this into the chuck. Use a center, I think that's what it's called, to support the bottom. If your lathe has enough room so the tree clears, run the lathe slow. Do the turning.
Leo

Hello Folks,

Yup, again me:laugh2::lmao:.
To revive this thread, so basically one could also swap stems from later 35 to earlier 34mm stems, right?
Reason is I have a twin caliper fork that i would like to use for my xs2 clone (1980 euro xs650) and have done some parts requests and perhaps might have even found some triple trees, who knows.

Thanks and happy weekend Christian

Back