xs500

garylp

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get an xs500 that the guy says ran last year but no spark now. What do you guys know about the 500 and spark?

Posted via Mobile

There is a guy choppin a 500 on the other board.....I feel bad for him bc most of the guys are telling him to sell it and get a 650.

While you won't get many parts at a Yamaha dealer, parts are available!
The XS500 was sold from 1975-1978 in North America, and up to 1980 in Europe.
The TX500 was make in 1973 and '74 and was replaced by the XS500. Just like the TX650 and XS650, they are essentially the same bike.
So eight years of production, total.
They are getting quite a following now, but are still reasonably priced compared to some other vintage Japanese bikes.
One good site is the Yamaha TX/XS500 forum. www.XS500.proboards.com

While you won't get many parts at a Yamaha dealer, parts are available!
The XS500 was sold from 1975-1978 in North America, and up to 1980 in Europe.
The TX500 was make in 1973 and '74 and was replaced by the XS500. Just like the TX650 and XS650, they are essentially the same bike.
So eight years of production, total.
They are getting quite a following now, but are still reasonably priced compared to some other vintage Japanese bikes.
One good site is the Yamaha TX/XS500 forum. www.XS500.proboards.com

Just realized that I didn't respond to the spark question!
First, check fuses under the seat. If one is gone, try a new one. (make sure you have two spares!) Sometimes a fuse just fails from heat and vibration. But usually it's doing it's job, opening up because there is a short circuit somewhere.
The XS500 has a dual ignition system. So two sets of points, two coils, two condensers (In a single package.), two sets of wiring. the points are located behind a circular cover on the lower right side. One cool thing about the XS500 engine is that it was built mostly with allen head (hex head) bolts, so stripped bolt heads are rare. Remove the three allen head bolts retaining the points cover, and have a look. Turn the engine until one set of points are closed. Remove both spark plugs, reconnect them to the spark plug wires and ground the plugs to the engine. (either use a clip wire or just make sure that the plug is resting on the cylinder head.) Turn the ignition on, lift the (closed) point open , you should see a spark at the plug. ( and maybe a bit of spark at the points. No spark? A test light comes in handy here. While lifting the point open, check for voltage at the wire going to the points. You should have no voltage when the points are closed. I can't give a complete tutorial on electrical troubleshooting in this space, so check online for a basic course. It's always a good thing to try swapping components from one side to another for troubleshooting purposes, assuming you get spark on one side. No spark at either means something in common has failed: a fuse or wiring is likely, also a poor ground on the the dual condensor unit.
No spark causes: Bad or unadjusted points. Bad condenser. Bad coil. Bad spark plug.
Bad wiring. Hope this helps!

Back