xs650 alt to xj650 reg/rect how do you do it?

ninetoe

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and am loving the info on here. I do need help with my bike. I have a 74' XS650 with alternator wires in white, black, green,and yellow. I would like to wire in an 82' xj650 Maxim regulator/rectifier with white, green, red, black and brown wire. How would I do this? I have seen allot of conflicting info and I'm very confused at this point:banghead:. And yes, I did search's on this subject:shrug:. This exact combo, I haven't seen yet. Help if you can, and thanks for a great place to hange out.

Well, before you can start wiring in that reg/rec you need to know if the XJ650 maxum uses brushes. If it's the same as my 82 XJ650 Seca Then it uses brushes. It is the same reg/rec that is used on the 80 up XS650. Wire it up the same as you would the 80 up reg/rec.
On your reg/rec the three white wires go to the three white wires of the stator. The red wire to battery positive, Black to Battery negitive or a good frame ground. The green wire to the green wire to the outside brush.
Now you need to replace the three screws that hold the inner brush in with nylon screws. Now you trace the black wire from that brush back up to the large plug that hooks the stator to the bikes harness cut the black wire an inch or two back from the plug on the harness side. Hook a brown wire to the black wire from the plug. Run this wire over to the brown wire on the reg/rec. connect the two brown wires to a third brown wire, now connect this third brown wire to power after the switch.
Now when you turn the bike on power gets fed from the battery to both the reg/rec and the inside brush on the stator. From that brush through the rotor to the other brush, out the green wire to the reg/rec. Now as the reg/rec reads the battery voltage on the brown wire it will turn the power flow through the rotor by grounding the green wire in the reg/rec on and off to keep the stator output at 14.5 volts.
This keeps the battery charged to run the bike.
The yellow wire from the stator goes to the safety relay. On your 74 the safety relay controls the power to the starter relay so the starter cuts out as the engine starts and keeps it from working as long as the engine is running. This prevents excess wear and tear on the gears and shaft that hook the starter motor to the engine.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo for getting back with that info so quick. This is a chop project, so I don't have all the stock relays and switch's. So the yellow wire is none existent. I hope this will not effect anything? Does the reg/rect body need to be grounded or is it done internally through the wiring?

The yellow wire needs to be capped of so it won't ground out. The combo reg/rec grounds internally through the wiring, the black wire to be exact.
It should be mounted out in the open and with clean mounts to the frame. The body can get quite warm. The clean mount to the frame acts like added heat sink. Out in the open provides plenty of air flow through the fins on the body.
Leo

Back