XS650 chain oiler?

RevGas

Change180
Reaction score
I have a 1979 XS650 bobber that I just put together. It seems to have oil all over the chain and now gets flung all over rear wheel and back half of bike. Does this bike have a self oiling system for the chain? A guy at the honda dealership told me he had an old bike that did that and he just crimped the tube that did it. Or do I just have an oil leak somewhere?

These bikes didn't come with a self oiling chain. I would guess you have an oil leak at the sprocket.

I have a 1979 XS650 bobber that I just put together. It seems to have oil all over the chain and now gets flung all over rear wheel and back half of bike. Does this bike have a self oiling system for the chain? A guy at the honda dealership told me he had an old bike that did that and he just crimped the tube that did it. Or do I just have an oil leak somewhere?

Hi RevGas,
like they said, XS650s don't have automatic chain oilers as such.
Yours could have it's engine breather hose re-routed to blow vented oil vapor onto the chain but to over-oil as you describe
would take serious oil overfill &/or the head vent casting's inner baffles removed.
I'd say it's more likely that your engine has an oil leak, most likely at the drive sprocket bearing seal.
Mind you, once the problem is fixed you will be back to keeping your chain oiled.
Or buying one of these:-
http://www.scottoiler.com/

Two items usually cause right side oil leaks.

1. Clutch rod oil seal. Sometimes the seal alone is the problem, sometimes the clutch rod and the steel bushing behind the seal must also be replaced because they're worn to the point that radial slop will cause a new seal to fail from the git-go.

2. Output shaft oil seal. Don't ask me how it happens, but in spite of the tab washer locked into the splines on the output shaft, the nut that secures the front sprocket can loosen, and when that happens the output shaft oil seal will leak. Tightening the nut to spec torque usually solves the problem.

A quick search will turn up plenty of how-to on both issues.

Back