xs650 engine fits xs500 frame?

Thank you , RG.
There is one broken aluminum part in one carb, that holds the float axle in place. I tried to glue it with metal epoxy, but gasoline seems to melt the epoxy. otherwise the carbs are good, if I would get the rebuild kit, that Skull recommended, I can make them work like new.

Hi Mantis,
you can fix the float pivot post by cutting the broken post off square and tapping it with whatever small diameter tap you have handy that'll fit.
Now cut the head off a long-enough bolt, cross-drill it to fit the float pivot pin then screw it into the tapped post stub so the cross-drilled hole is level and in line with the pivot pin hole in the good post.
A drop of red Loctite should fix the salvage post in place.
Next time you try removing a float pivot pin, use a spring-loaded automatic centerpunch.
They move the pin without side-loading the pivot post.

Thnk you all, guys. one more question:
would 1983 xs650 engine fit into xs650 1973 frame? can I use the xs500 wheels , front fork, seat and the tank on xs650 frame?

Thank you Fred. I was thinking about similar procedure, but decided to go simplier way. Just to glue it in place. Maybe somebody knows a strong glue for aluminum resistant to gasoline?

Last edited:
Thank you Fredintoon. I was thinking about something similar procedure, but decided to go simplier way. Just to glue it in place. Maybe you know strong glue for aluminum resistant to gasoline?

Nothing will truly be gas resistant that is off of the shelf from the local hardware store. Your going to have to get some tools and try something like Fred suggested.

Posted via Mobile

Back