xs650 engine rattle

blake b

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody this is my first post here hopefully you guys can helped out, I just bought a 79 xs650 bobber and I love the bike but there is a god awful rattle coming from the engine, its mostly at lower rpms or deceleration and slightly at idle if I'm on the throttle pretty good it doesn't do it but at cruising speeds on the highway its pretty loud, the bike runs perfectly starts right up and runs great so im hoping its not something serious I don't know much about motorcycles so hopefully someone could help me diagnose this or possibly walk me through how to fix it, thanks in advance

My first guess would be cam chain tensioner a bit loose. I like to set it with the engine warmed up, at idle adjust so the plunger just comes flush but still move in/out about 1-2 mm. If more movement = too loose, less = to tight.
A bit more or less might quite things a bit. So adjust as mentioned then try a bit tighter and looser.
Leo

Attachments

• r25bab.jpg
    r25bab.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
First suspect would be the cam chain needing adjustment. I would also be checking both oil filters for black plastic crud, that would probably indicate the cam chain guide is shot.
hope this is of some help
Steve

Posted via Mobile

Its not quite as bad as the video its mostly after I rev it when its coming back down from high rpms, I will post a video when I get home to help clarify

Ok i finally got a chance to mess with it, i started it up and pulled the acorn nut off and the pin is flush with the shoulder but its not moving at all, any ideas?

Posted via Mobile

My first guess would be cam chain tensioner a bit loose. I like to set it with the engine warmed up, at idle adjust so the plunger just comes flush but still move in/out about 1-2 mm. If more movement = too loose, less = to tight.
A bit more or less might quite things a bit. So adjust as mentioned then try a bit tighter and looser.
Leo

^ That

Mess with it till it starts moving and go from there

Yes, as JP mentioned I described how to check and what to do. As I said earlier If less than 1-2 mm it's to tight. Loosen the adjuster till you see movement.
While adjusting, listen.
Leo

From your description of no movement, it's too tight, but loosening it isn't going to reduce any noise. If it is the cam chain, then it might be a bad guide. This Thread Is Useless Without Video.

I have been trying to figure out what the hell that noise is and I stumbled across this video. What is the fix for this?

If you are talking about my video where the cam chain guide plastic has come loose you will have to pull the top end off and replace the guide.

I have videos on that too.

Back