XS650 Engine swap-ability

lowbudget

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
VERY new to Yamaha's so I'm not sure of the year to year differences yet. I have a 1976 frame with no engine. Was the 650 engine the same thru 1980? Thinking if I could find a different year that would bolt up I might have myself an easy project. Thanks in advance!

wireing changed at the alternator and rec/reg went solidstate in '80.

The big thing I would consider is the engine series. Engines up through '73 had model numbers starting with 256 and hence are called "256" motors. '74 and later engine numbers started with 447 so are called "447" motors. There were numerous changes to these later engines including different pistons, rods, cam chains and sprockets, among other things. The parts for the older 256 engines are still around but harder to find and they cost more. The most economical motor in the long run for your transplant would be the later 447 type. Plug-in for your harness would be '74-'79. Yes, all years will bolt in but some would be easier (and cheaper) to get going than others. Personally, I would look for a '74-'79. For carbs, I would choose '77 or newer.

Back