xs650 enough for 2?

boobaloojones

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello again guys,
do you think the xs has enough power to carry 2 people for a few days?
pretty much the gist of it, anything I can improve on to do so? we're looking at 300+ pounds.

I hear different theories on whether larger bores increase the power so I don't think it matters but...

**3rd over
**5th overdrive gear
**18 front spocket

think that"ll be enough? I had planned on rephasing but the extra dough could come in handy on the road. on the other hand, i hate doing things twice and it would cost another bill for another gasket set and cam chain if i open it up again. right now i'm just waiting on the parts above to come in.

please, i hope some addicts are still scanning the forum, i'd like to decide byt his weekend

the 5th OD and 18t will be keeping your rpm's pretty low, maybe too low for 2 people. you may find yourself having to cruise in 4th just to be able to have enough power to get around. I would do one or the other, but not both if you are planning to ride 2up a lot.

thanks james, yeah. well i'm riding it about 2000 plus a month after i put it back together. in may my girlfriend and i were planning on a week of riding.

Yes. Better suited to back country roads than hours of freeway though. Not just due to rpms... the shortish wheelbase and flexy frame make high speed extra work but having said that, my wife and I have enjoyed many 3 day tours on our XS650. I'm currently reinforcing the frame as part of an overall bike make over and we both are looking forward to touring on it again.

I haven't ridden anything more recent than a 1978 Gold Wing, but I put thousands of miles on my '74 XS in 5 states and overseas, with probably 10% of it two-up. Never felt a need for more power or better handling.

I expect modern suspensions and engines have raised expectations, and for sure interstate speeds have gone up, so take that for what it's worth.

If you reset your brain to think like it would have (or did in my case) in the late 70's and set your expectations of what a good days touring is to what they realisticly would have been in say 1978, and you'll be fine.

If your used to modern bikes and their abilities, it might feel like more of an adventure :)

Agree that your proposed gearing set up might mean that you are down shifting a bit.

I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass here, but Good God man! Why have people gotten it into their heads that you need a wallowing big monster bike to go touring? In the sixties, Robert Persig made an epic journey (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) on a 305 Honda Dream, loaded to the gunnels and carrying his son on the passenger seat; I would certainly think a 650 Yamaha could do the same. I would ride the secondary roads, mainly because of the scenery, but yes it could handle the freeway too, I have a buddy who does it all the time. Tune up the bike and off you go...have fun!

I think I would have to agree if you have the overdrive 5th don't use the 18 tooth for two up runs. More power to you if you have a gal that will sit on the back of an XS650 for a couple of days at a time. On size matters; some smart ass from cycle world I think it was duct taped a bean bag chair to a Honda 90 and rode it from California to Florida or some other stupid trick like that. Two people 300 pounds? She must be a bone. Better find her some extra padding for her skinny ass. If you are going on the super slab I think a 650 is light for two up touring. Not to mention much of her weight will be behind the rear contact patch, which starts unloading the front wheel. You need saddle bags, weight should NOT be on a luggage rack BEHIND her! That's physics and it's not good for stability. Yes it can be done but you have to realize and compensate for the gotcha's. Let us know how it goes? Here's the short version You are taking extra risks with two up on a light bike. If you are SURE you have the skills to deal with that and SHE understands those risks. Well than you know what you are getting into.
Note; run your weight calculations and see how the back tire label compares. It won't be pretty. I blew out a rear with a heavy passenger one time, Had to throw away those underwear. Yes I have put more than couple miles on a Honda 305 with two up. But I was young and brave (S-T-U....). Much more than a trip to town and my wife says The Shadow 1100 WITH the backrest thank you very much! Information is power.

I will never carry a passenger again. Ever, period, lol.
As for touring speeds and power, I think it is a more enjoyable ride when I am on a smaller bike. I love cruising on backroads, at posted speeds, on my XS. It's great. A guy I know, who golfs alot, told me once that if you don't see the birds, feel the grass, note the trees, then you need to stop playing. Bill Bryson talks about missing these simple pleasures in A Walk in the Woods.
Both my uncle and cousins rode from the east coast to the west coast and back....the long way, all back roads, on Triumphs. They had some stories and you could tell, just by watching them explain their constant breakdowns and problems to their extremely enlightening tales of the trip, that they truley had a blast.

My father-in-laws friend always tells of how fast he got from Maryland to Idaho or how many miles he has on his bike. Ya, that's great, but they are all 70-80mph, highway miles. I can do that in a car and it would be the same thing. Except I won't have the wind burn, lol.

Enjoy the ride, take it all in, stop to smell the roses and eat roadside bbq from an old hippy named Dave. People pass by way too many things. Miss out on so many experiences. Who wants to hear about the traffic jam on Rt.70 or how bad your hand hurts from holding the throttle open for 5 hours at a time? I don't. I want to know what Dave's thoughts are on the secret of life. Or better yet, if Dave knows about any old barns hiding slumbering machines.

Last edited:
Total agreement with what LittleBill just wrote. When I ride I'm in a zone that a passenger just destroys, "I'm cold, hot, tired, wet, hungry, and especially are we lost?"
As far as Bill Bryson is concerned, imho the best author writing today but that's another subject.

roy

When I ride I'm in a zone that a passenger just destroys, "I'm cold, hot, tired, wet, hungry, and especially are we lost?"
roy

I'm tired of them leaning the wrong damn way and freaking out, lol. My wife won't ride on the back of a bike anyway, so it frees me up.

On passengers the worst one is "I gotta pee."
As far as XS650 touring two up. it can be done. The bike will handle it better than you will.
I took a trip awhile back. Loaded up with camping gear. Went to the Baltimore Roundup. Took me 11 hours to get there. Cruising the two lane roads, enjoying the scenery.
On the way home tried to stay ahead of the rain, took about 5 hours running the interstate at 80-85 mph. The bike ran great all the way down and back.
Would I do a trip like that again, in a heartbeat.
I also did a trip to South Carolina on the Harley. It handled the trip just fine.
The larger heavier bike handles the interstates better and won't tire you out as much so you can log a few more miles.
Using Mike's 5th gear with stock gearing or dropping one, maybe two teeth on the rear will be enough for two up riding if you don'y carry much extra gear. One change of clothes for each. If you want to carry more than stick with the 34 tooth on the rear.
On larger bores making more power, yes they do. As they say, "There is no replacement for displacement."
Bigger engines have more room for air/fuel, more air/fuel is more power.
As far as comfort, tune the engine right and it vibrates less. Balance the tires. A Bar Snake helps the handle bar vibes.
Leo

Ahh thank you so much fellas. I appreciate the forum so much. I was really wanting to know what could improve the situation for my motorcycle.

** So majority rules for the 5th od.
** Bigger pistons will help.
** And 18/34 isn't enough? I thought it was like dropping two on the rear?

Really awesome stories, to contribute, at 19 I took a 250 rebel from the pacific to corpus. Cruised at 65 and took advantage of drafting trucks. Rode for longer than I'd like to say, probably more than most here.

There's no other improvements like electrical or anything?

Yes, a 650 is fine for 2. My 78 SE has a GVWR of 935 lbs. If your bike weighs about 490 lbs (with gas), you have the capacity to carry 445 lbs. Good idea to keep the luggage weight on the low side. Put the rear tire up to 36 psi.

I think you should stay with 17 front sprocket (and maybe a 33 or 34 rear), along with the Mikesxs 5 th gear overdrive. Without the 5 th od, you could go down to a 31 rear.

Yes, there are electrical improvements. If you have 70 to 79 bike, I recommend you replace your old rectifier with a new rectifier (such as the Radio Shack dual bridge). That old relay type regulator should be replaced with an automotive NOS soild state unit such as a VR-115. Clean up all the electrical connections. Install a voltmeter on the bike. Check that the brushes are not worn out. If your bike has the 4 position glass fuse type of fuse holder, I would remove it and install automotive blade type fuse holders.

Lots of improvments. Not many will get done by the weekend though.
The things RG mentioned are good.
Tapered roller bearings in the steering neck, bronze bushings or needle bearings in the swingarm, Minton mods to the forks, new rear shocks, new tires, 750 kit, tons of things.
Some are needed, some are more for the fun aspect.
Leo

I am adding saddlebags, but in the past we have carried all our luggage on the rear and it was quite doable - dirt roads, back paved roads and freeway... freeway was the least enjoyable... but doable. Number one improvement for touring: use an O-ring chain! Meanwhile ENJOY and give us a ride report :)

a windshield may help a lot too, if you get caught in some weather, the windshield will help keep you n your passenger a little drier

i thought the 18/34 set up would give me better high end speed?
also, i've become hesitant taking apart my lower crankcase. i purchased all the seals but was originally planning on a rephase. doesn't seem needed since i'm not replacing anything in it.

18/34 will give you a higher top speed, but it is going to take longer to get there. Think of driving a stick shift car, it would be like going from 3rd to 5th gear, without going through 4th.

Back