xs650 enough for 2?

Higher gearing = higher top end (maybe) or more accurately, lower RPM per a given speed. However it decreases torque at the rear wheel and hence "it takes you longer to get there" in other words 'at the expense of acceleration'. In hilly areas, or hauling a heavy load, you might need to use the gearbox more.
Hope that helps.

why is that? i figure that an extra tooth up front would rotate more teeth in the back.

it will rotate more in the back, giving you a higher top speed. Like a 10 speed with the big sprocket in the front, and small one in the back. It is harder to pedal, and it takes you longer to get going fast, but you can go faster in the long run.

I have a 79, all stock motor (airboxes and stock pipes still on) and I ride 2 up sometimes for hours on the freeway with my girl. I weigh 220 and shes about 120. The only issue I have from time to time is quickly slowing or stopping from the 70-80mph range... Breaks may need a beef up for the added weight, but never had too much trouble making the power and cruising on the freeway for the long haul with her on the back.

The 18 up front will be like two off the back, as far as the ratio goes. The 18 is big enogh where the shifter gaurd often needs to be removed.
The 18 tooth being bigger often needs the shift shaft ground a bit for clearance. Especially if you use an o or x ring chain.
It also effects the way the engine reacts. The 17 better matches the torque curve of the engine.
I think the main reason the 18 gets used is it's cheaper than the rear sprockets.
On my 75 as a 650 and as a 750 I like the 17/32 sprockets. They are a good all around set. The 17/34 is better if you just run around town. The 17/30 is ok if you run the highways a lot.
On the highway two up I think the 17/32 will be fine.
Leo

thanks. actually it has nothing to do with price. it had to do with the sprocket ratio chart on mikes. the 17 and 18 are the same price and pretty similar elsewhere. it just seems like it'd be comparable to 17/32-33

Yes a front sprocket, with 17 or 18 teeth is the same price.
What I said was the front sprocket is cheaper than the rear sprocket. So people swap the front to save a few bucks.
Front is $15.50 the rear is $29.
An 18/34 is the same ratio as the 17/32. The 18/34 is 1.88, the 17/32 is 1.88.
Changing the front from 17 to 18 changes the way the engine torque is applied to the final drive. The 18 tooth reguires more engine torque to turn the final drive than the 17.
Leo

I'm running an 18/34. I can cruise 70-80 all day with no problems. When I finally install the 5th gear overdrive I'll probably go back to a 17/34 or perhaps a 17/32.

As for 2 up touring-- as long as she's not a cow you should be okay. I weigh 230lbs and have loaded all kinds of gear without even knowing it's back there. The secret is to load it low to the ground.

I built a canoe trailer but haven't used it yet because I haven't finished the trailer hitch.

Well, some thought for the passenger. Get a back rest (sissy bar?) for her. More comfortable and safer as well for long trips...:thumbsup:

Women are just great. First we think of ourselves, warm jacket, gloves, boots and helmet along with a comfy seat. Then it's all about the bike. Tires, tuneup, sprockets etc. When it's time to go, we just assume the women are OK with it so they just hop on and go, staring at the back of your helmet for hours at a time while trying desperately to keep from falling off of the bike. The driver has handle bars to hold on to when the road gets rough. The passenger just has to hold on to your beer gut or dig her fingernails into the seat. You love to shift gears with some drama. She cringes with each shift as she feels herself flying off of the back of the bike...:eek:... Then we wonder why they don't like to go riding much...:bike:

So, this thread will go on for several days. Discussing the pros and cons of various sprocket arrangements. Meanwhile, the girlfriend is writing her last will and testament. Man, they are really brave. I wouldn't go around the block on the back seat of a motorcycle..:wtf:.... Would you?

Well, some thought for the passenger. Get a back rest (sissy bar?) for her. More comfortable and safer as well for long trips...:thumbsup:

Women are just great. First we think of ourselves, warm jacket, gloves, boots and helmet along with a comfy seat. Then it's all about the bike. Tires, tuneup, sprockets etc. When it's time to go, we just assume the women are OK with it so they just hop on and go, staring at the back of your helmet for hours at a time while trying desperately to keep from falling off of the bike. The driver has handle bars to hold on to when the road gets rough. The passenger just has to hold on to your beer gut or dig her fingernails into the seat. You love to shift gears with some drama. She cringes with each shift as she feels herself flying off of the back of the bike...:eek:... Then we wonder why they don't like to go riding much...:bike:

So, this thread will go on for several days. Discussing the pros and cons of various sprocket arrangements. Meanwhile, the girlfriend is writing her last will and testament. Man, they are really brave. I wouldn't go around the block on the back seat of a motorcycle..:wtf:.... Would you?

There are very few I would ride with and I've seen them ride for 10,20,30 years or more. And then only if it meant not walking a very long ways home. The next woman who rides with me will ride her own bike or stay home. (Or ride off with some other tramp-- either way is fine.)

The 18t not the right way to go been there done that spent more time adjusting the chain push rod seal leaking the whole bit.The chain wore out twice as fast had to slip the clutch or it would stall out. Went back to 17t no more problems 32 rear for long trips.Adjusted the chain once after a new chain and going back to the 17T. No extra baggage for me Had the wife on the back once scared the hell out of her she will not ride with me again. :D

hi guys ,,,i,d always remember,,, they are classed as a mid sized bike,,, to me that is weight,,, motor size,,,and wheel size i.e. 19' front 18' rear,, and distance teween...i.e.. not a harley wheel spacing ...or grunt...you could always put a hieden ",, mikes 750 barrel ...kit straight in,,, and rekit the carbys,,,or replace with different carbs from mikes......or rephase...that will give you up to 40% more torgue straight off the back wheel...and you could do a chopper to give longer wheel base.. regards oldbiker

Last edited:
Thank you again everyone. Stickin with the set up. Might as well try it out and learn something new.
Leo...Sorry man, didn't catch that. I bought both 18 & 34. I knew the ratio was the same, I just thought the torque was too.
Bill...well, I'm trying to lower the rear some. Then maybe some saddle bags.
Pamco...yeah, she seems pretty brave. Been thinking about a sissy config.
Scabber...Had you replaced the rear and chain too? With a freshly built motor? Not one that's been worked?
Aussie...only thing I'm doing a 3 over bore, perhaps the rephase and likely a carb rebuild.

When I put on the 18t front 34 rear I put on a new chain Mikes High tensil nickle. Went back to 17t front 32 rear new chain same one as the first time put the front guide back on. The 18t will give you nothing but problems and with two up the low end power loss will make the bike a lot less fun to ride. You will have to slip the clutch to take off and the added ware and tear is not worth the 500 RPM at cruse. Yamaha geared the bike right from the factory and the power band of the motor a 6 speed gear box is what the bike needs.

I think 5 gears are enough, they just need to have a wider range of ratio's.
Mike's new 5th gear is a step in the right direction.
What would be even better would be to up 5th 2 teeth, 4th one tooth. 3rd's fine. Lower 2nd one tooth, first 2 teeth.
Then change the primary ratio with the new set.
Then you will have wider range of rear sprockets to use.
In the early sales propaganda when the XS650 came out they said it had a wide ratio gear box. Yamaha before this only made 2 stroke enges. This gear sets ratios may be a wide set for 2 stokes that have a much wider rpm range than a four stoke.
The narrow rpm range of a four stroke needs a wide ratio gear box.
Leo

Back