Wanted - Xs650 tank channels

Beardnbiker79

XS650 Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone I hope the post finds everyone well. I hope someone could help me in sourcing some 650 tank channels as pictured. Kind regards David

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240122_205526_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122_205526_Chrome.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 54
Was not sure what a tank channel was till I clicked on the picture. I may have the old 1972 650 frame out in the shed if they would be the same. I'll try to remember to check in the AM! I know I hacked up the frame from the 1982 for some one who wanted the neck for a S/N not sure if they would be left one that frame.

If I forget to let you know tomorrow start a conversation with me to get my attention!

Here is a picture of what I have, biggest problem is I'm across the pond in the USA so shipping might be a bit much.

tank mount01.JPG

Guessing it might be a bit tricky to drill out the spot welds but if nothing else works for you let me know.

Here is a picture of what I have, biggest problem is I'm across the pond in the USA so shipping might be a bit much.

View attachment 260745
Guessing it might be a bit tricky to drill out the spot welds but if nothing else works for you let me know.
Drilling the spot welds was a piece of cake.

Drilling the spot welds was a piece of cake.
I was thinking I had a special tool for drilling spot welds, kind of like a small hole saw, but drawing blank on where it might be stored. Wife's late husband was a car body repair guy.

This is what I seem to recall:
Spot_Weld_Cutter.jpg

I was thinking I had a special tool for drilling spot welds, kind of like a small hole saw, but drawing blank on where it might be stored. Wife's late husband was a car body repair guy.

This is what I seem to recall:
View attachment 260747
You don’t need it. Just a couple little holes wil do it.

I think I ground the welds with a DreMel and they basically fell off on a frame I was hacking up.

Cold chisel knocks 'em right off with minimal distortion to the ear - and that can be easily rectified with a hammer on some steel.
Right now I think the biggest problem with mine would be getting them to "South Wales uk". Even if I only wanted $1.00 each the shipping would be a deal breaker!

Now if someone from the States is headed to the UK in a couple weeks..............

Ken I just checked pirateship and made up a package such as would contain two tank channels to the U.K. and it quoted me around $29. I suppose if I wanted them bad enough…….

Some Yamahas are reversed where what you are looking for is on the tank instead of the frame. I think I found a cheap 850 tank on eBay and cut them off that. They were the same size as the xs650, although $29.00 sounds like a cheap solution to me.

Some Yamahas are reversed where what you are looking for is on the tank instead of the frame. I think I found a cheap 850 tank on eBay and cut them off that. They were the same size as the xs650, although $29.00 sounds like a cheap solution to me.
Well if the original poster wants them that bad maybe add $6.00 for my time and gas money to get to the Post Office I could make it happen.

Anyone traveling to the UK in the near future? They would fit easy into and carry-on, don't think they would be flagged as dangerous!

Back