XS650 Timing Issues? *VIDEO*

Why not? Think about how the points system works, and what would happen with intermittent random power failure.
Also, what do you mean by the electric start tries to engage the engine but doesn't?

If you have the specs, post them. It would be very helpful when trying to decipher all this.
And just because he says they're right doesn't make it true.

There's a fix for the electric starter problem but I won't bother posting it. Just have the shop fix that, too.

And kicking it repeatedly won't change the timing.

I think the electric starter issue is related to the timing. It does start but only sometimes. If the timing is off, im guessing the elec starter would have a hard time starting the engine.

I know kicking wont fix the timing. lol

Im really debating sorting this out with a friend who has offered his help as opposed to taking it to the shop. The Mrs can see i am a bit frustrated (though I have three bikes I want ALL of them running properly) and I might take a day off and spend that day in the garage with my friend. Whats the fix for the starter? Backstory is, the Mrs was upset that, when my first son was born, Id hang out in the garage working on my cars to get rid of stress. So we agreed I would spend ZERO time in the garage once the business started making money. The business took off so she felt i could afford to have someone do it. But what she doesnt get is the JOY of fixing your own s*h*t. So we had a convo about it a little while ago. Just may do this myself!

Why not? Think about how the points system works, and what would happen with intermittent random power failure.
Also, what do you mean by the electric start tries to engage the engine but doesn't?

I think the electric starter issue is related to the timing. It does start but only sometimes. If the timing is off, im guessing the elec starter would have a hard time starting the engine.

The starter issue isn't related to the timing.

Here's a thread about the fix:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/starter-gear-fix.18060/

OK thanks. Im not bothering with fixing that now though. I'll just kick it. I prefer kick anyway. And today, when I was riding in heavy nyc traffic and I let go of the clutch and the bike stalled, the electric start worked perfectly. Looking back on the day, the time it DIDNT work is when I flooded the carbs.

Describe starter didn't work. IF it engages but the motor won't turn over, and if you get kick backs by foot a sticky advance is a likely problem. But if you have one problem and "some guy" starts adjusting timing by ear, it is likely you now have TWO problems. Once that happens only methodical real mechanic troubleshooting will straighten things out. Most bikes I buy cheap have had a bunch of "random guess fixing" done till they wouldn't run at all. Usually an hour or 4 of methodical troubleshooting later I'm riding it. Often as not I find the original problem AND some mis adjustment or mis-assembly from "fixin' on it" before it runs

Describe starter didn't work. IF it engages but the motor won't turn over, and if you get kick backs by foot a sticky advance is a likely problem. But if you have one problem and "some guy" starts adjusting timing by ear, it is likely you now have TWO problems. Once that happens only methodical real mechanic troubleshooting will straighten things out. Most bikes I buy cheap have had a bunch of "random guess fixing" done till they wouldn't run at all. Usually an hour or 4 of methodical troubleshooting later I'm riding it. Often as not I find the original problem AND some mis adjustment or mis-assembly from "fixin' on it" before it runs

My friend was just adjusting the timing so I could get the bike home. In the end, we just turned the idle up to 2k and the bike was fine to get home; it didnt stall again during the 7 mile ride home.

It is exactly as you said, I do get kick backs when starting by foot.

This thread has a video, see what you find? RH cam cover, remove 2) #3 phillips screws, Look for a broken spring then see if the weights snap back like in the video.

My friend was just adjusting the timing so I could get the bike home. In the end, we just turned the idle up to 2k and the bike was fine to get home; it didnt stall again during the 7 mile ride home.

If he was adjusting the timing by poking around with a screwdriver, he doesn't know what he's doing. You need to have a timing light or multi-meter to check and adjust the timing. It's now possible that the points gap is messed up, too.

I suggest you start with a basic tune-up and go from there. It may very well be a loose wire or something, as stated before, but now it's been messed with...improperly... and you need to set a good baseline before you do any trouble shooting.
And if you and your buddy do the tune-up, the bike must....MUST... be stone cold before checking and adjusting the valves. Sitting for a couple of hours isn't good enough. It needs to sit overnight.

If he was adjusting the timing by poking around with a screwdriver, he doesn't know what he's doing. You need to have a timing light or multi-meter to check and adjust the timing. It's now possible that the points gap is messed up, too.

I suggest you start with a basic tune-up and go from there. It may very well be a loose wire or something, as stated before, but now it's been messed with...improperly... and you need to set a good baseline before you do any trouble shooting.
And if you and your buddy do the tune-up, the bike must....MUST... be stone cold before checking and adjusting the valves. Sitting for a couple of hours isn't good enough. It needs to sit overnight.

I appreciate your advice but the doom and gloom of "he doesnt know what hes doing, now something is messed up," I dont need. The bike ran fine home, and he was only trying to help, and this guy has built bikes from scratch. This week the bike will be looked at and fixed. Ive had enough of internet culture and ppl continually dogging other ppl. Im signing off. thanks. I'll not be checking this forum until I am able to post that the bike is fixed, and what the issue is/was

Back