XS650 vs. Honda Shadow 750

BeetsnGreens

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, so my friend and I started out riding at the same time almost a year ago. I've got the XS and he's got the Shadow 750. Now I know the XS would smoke the Shadow, but is the Shadow as slow as he makes it seem?

I always ride behind. When we take off from a light, he is sooo slow to get up to speed. Like, we get up to speed at the pace of a '90s Honda Civic. He shifts up too early, I think. By the time he switches into 4th, I'm still in 2nd. And he loses momentum when he pulls in clutch, so he's bobbing back and forth while we're next to each other.

Anybody have experience with this bike? Is it really that painfully slow? Or should I convince him to rev it up more? I told him to once but he struggles with it, so I'm starting to think it's the bike and not him.

My main concern with being slow off the line is that cars stay right up behind us... really makes me nervous. When I ride alone, a few seconds after light turns green and the cars are a quarter mile behind me (exaggeration, but you get my point). I don't need to go full throttle, tires screeching to do this, it's all very smooth and safe for me.

Well I can tell you my first bike was a 1985 500 Shadow....that was a very responsive and nimble bike and easy to maneuver for a new rider. I would have to say that it may not be as much the bike,as it is the way your friend is riding it...if the bike is being shifted too soon,it is not going to accelerate smoothly and that,as you know can put you in unsafe riding situations...I agree with Beags64 saying that you should take it for a spin

I have ridden almost all versions of Honda shadows and the little 600 is the only one that deserves that reputation, either it's him or the bike has a problem. VT750 Shadows run ok but a good xs650 can out sprint them but you should have to work for it......

Wife had a 750 shadow for years, about a 99 IIRC, rode it back to back with an Xs several times and put some miles on it. Those shadows are so relaxed that they feel fun riding slow. But I'll guess they would give a stock XS650 a run for it's money in a drag race. Allison's mentioned going back to a shadow.
An 01 Spirit test showed Quarter-mile acceleration: 12.28 sec., 83.9 mph that sounds about par with an XS650?

That's a weird combo of numbers.
Maybe for an 1/8 mile run, or
16.28 sec, 83.9 mph, or
12.28 sec, 113.9 mph makes sense.

Maybe you'd like to play with this:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/the-a-factor.53656/

None of those times seem reasonable. I'd guess a VT 750 should be somewhere between 14 and 15 secs in the quarter mile.The engine is similar to an Africa Twin, in a lower state of tune, so not very hot.
12.28 seconds is absolutely unlikely IMHO.

OK not my testing, I'll take your word that the numbers are wrong. it was found here;
https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/motorcycle-road-test-honda-shadow-spirit-750#page-7
PERFORMANCE
Fuel mileage: 36 to 41 mpg, 38.9 mpg avg.
Average range: 133 miles
Rpm at 60 mph, top-gear: 3400
200 yard, top-gear acceleration from 50 mph, terminal speed: 69.97 mph
Quarter-mile acceleration: 12.28 sec., 83.9 mph

Same mag tested a 1997 shadow A.C.E. This is about the bike Allison has.
CHASSIS
Wet weight: 553 lb. 54% rear wheel
PERFORMANCE
Fuel mileage: 37 to 49 mpg, 43.4 mpg average
Average range: 161 miles
RPM at 60 mph, top gear: 3360
200 yard, top-gear acceleration from 50 mph, terminal speed: 68.2 mph
Quarter-mile acceleration: 15.09 sec., 86.2 mph

That more like what you will accept?

A Shadow forum generally agrees that;
They aren't about going fast, 15-16 in the quarter is about it.
https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-bike-discussion/63314-1-4-mile.html

"Maybe you'd like to play with this:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/the-a-factor.53656/"

Thanx 2many, I remembered that, but I'll let you run the numbers. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Back in 1984 I had a Honda Ascot VT500 twin which was pretty quick. Based on that my current wife when we met was riding a Kaw 500 Vulcan, which like most cruisers of the day was softly suspended, hobby horsey, and under braked so a chance came up to get her on a larger 2006 Shadow ACE 750 I helped her out.
Needed tires, battery and tune up, which I did. Once complete I took it out for a test drive and was never so disappointed in my life. Out on the local parkway maxed out downhill with a tail wind 90 mph was tops and acceleration wasn't anything to brag about. Compared to what I remembered of the smaller displacement Ascot it was mighty disappointing.
She loves the bike, fits her well and I have to say that she rides it well. For all the visual bulk it actually feels very light and nimble wheeling it around the garage and drive way. On trips with me V-Rod mounted, she stays right with me, not like I try to run away from her. Only 3 things make it a poor distance or long range bike. Chain drive, spoked wheels and limited fuel range.

I have done work on a VT 750 chain model and it was slow until I changed the carb and that woke it up a lot. The carb on bike is junk and the cooling fluid runs threw carb. Weird? So I put a 34mm flat slide on it and it sounded better and was much stronger. I also made a pipe for it and that helped too.

Hey, so my friend and I started out riding at the same time almost a year ago. I've got the XS and he's got the Shadow 750. Now I know the XS would smoke the Shadow, but is the Shadow as slow as he makes it seem?

I always ride behind. When we take off from a light, he is sooo slow to get up to speed. Like, we get up to speed at the pace of a '90s Honda Civic. He shifts up too early, I think. By the time he switches into 4th, I'm still in 2nd. And he loses momentum when he pulls in clutch, so he's bobbing back and forth while we're next to each other.

Anybody have experience with this bike? Is it really that painfully slow? Or should I convince him to rev it up more? I told him to once but he struggles with it, so I'm starting to think it's the bike and not him.

My main concern with being slow off the line is that cars stay right up behind us... really makes me nervous. When I ride alone, a few seconds after light turns green and the cars are a quarter mile behind me (exaggeration, but you get my point). I don't need to go full throttle, tires screeching to do this, it's all very smooth and safe for me.

Hi Beets,
XS650 & Shadow 750 are just about equal in performance so it ain't your buddy's bike. it's him.

His first statement will be; "it doesn't have a tach, I might over rev it". The Shadows DO have a rev limiter and it's WAY higher than he will ever twist that motor. I went looking for it on Allisons and it took a while to find it. Motor is screaming before you get there, it IS a HONDA, LOL.

In a period test of a Honda "Fury" (A variation of the Shadow 750), the final comment was something like "Not much fury......Compared to a Ducati Monster, the Honda is like a Trabant vs. a Dodge Viper"

... I'll let you run the numbers. :sneaky:

Alrighty, grinding numbers from your links, gives,

In keeping with the A-factor thread, using a 220lb rider,
'01 Shadow Spirit - 745cc, 4.37, 524lbs, A = 4.37
'01 Shadow Ace - 745cc, 4.31, 553lbs, A = 4.15

Similar to a '70 Honda CB-350, A = 4.28
The '77 XS650D is a bit better at A = 4.79

The reported 200yd top-gear acceleration of 50mph to just below 70mph works out to roughly 3.3 mph/sec, a bit slower than the predicted. That's real-world, but I don't know the conditions used in that test...

Back