XS650B Carb Rebuild Kit - Needles don't match

SteveH

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,
Picked up the correct rebuild kits for my carbs from Mikes. Everything is great - but the needle isn't the same profile as the existing one. Ok I thought - wear. However the old needle is longer than the new - clearly not wear :D New needle on the right:

IMG_00350.jpg

What sayeth you ?

Thanks !
Steve

only good for holding flies on the wall. Use the old needle unless there is obvious damage then buy the specific one

The rebuild kits from Mike's contain generic needles, in your case a Y-22. It is too short for any '74 or newer carb. The only carbs it might possibly work in are the '70-'73 ones. I don't know why the kit makers continue to include this needle. They've been selling the kits for years like this and that needle is obviously wrong. There is another generic needle that is more suited to the later carbs, the Y-31. That should be included instead.

Attachments

• !!!aaaaaa.jpg
    !!!aaaaaa.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 77
Thanks.....So does this mean I just pissed away $50 ? Why is Mikes selling shit that isn't correct ?

Why, the almighty dollar of course. As I said, these kits have been around and sold this way for years. Mike's claims to be dedicated to the XS650 but obviously, not so much. They have all the correct parts individually so they could assemble their own proper kits if they wanted to.

I'm not a fan of rebuild kits and rarely buy them. Instead, I just get the individual (correct) parts needed. So, to answer your question, no you didn't piss away $50, more like $30. You got float bowl gaskets you can use, maybe float needles and seat, possibly jets if you do some mods.

I don't know why the wrong kit is being sold. I'm assuming the aren't aware that it is incorrect. If it hadn't of been such a long since the time I bought the kit and the time I got around to using it and finding out how wrong it was I would have returned it. I have returned items to them in the past for either a refund or an exchange. Here's another post I mad in regard to that kit.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18760

Oh, they know the kits are wrong. They sell them anyway.

They sell the wrong kits because people buy them. If people quit buying them, they will quit selling them.
The only problem is that most people don't know thery are wrong.
Most people don't know that there are resources like this forum to help.
They don't think to look for them, just search Ebay for the parts.
Leo

Back