xs750 drivetrain in a 650 frame

Ironenginelover

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey folks
I'm very new to motorcycles, but not new to fabrication and working on engines. I recently was able to pick up an 79' xs750 triple for $350 in perfect running order and no dings in the tank or frame. Just needs a taillight and a new center stand. The issue is that there is no title and I live in NY where you need a title for everything.

However, Nearby there is a guy selling an xs650 frame for 300. Also, near by there is a guy selling a xs650 with a bad motor for 500. Both have clean titles.

Now I know anything is possible. But, having all the parts of a perfect running bike, is it reasonable to swap most of my drivetrain stuff from a 750 to a 650. Not talking about the front forks. Just looking to use my motor, tranny, tank, possibly shaft drive.

I was going to rebuild it as a custom cafe racer, but then found out that NY requires you to show proof of ownership if you use the majority of your parts from another bike.

Not worth it and very very complicated to do. You'd be better off getting the bike with the bad engine and putting another used XS650 engine in it.

Don't even think it. The term impossible comes to mind. blown engine titled XS750's are around, rather common even. Post a wanted ad on craiglist; WTB Yamaha xs750 any condition. See what shakes loose

Back