Wanted - Xs750 special starter

JSpurg

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 78 Yamaha xs750 special that the starter seems to have gone bad on and I can't find a replacement. What starters can I swap into this bike?

Looks like the later XS850 could be a match. There are several starters on EBay fairly reasonable. Maybe check with member gggGary. He might have something like that stashed away, otherwise I’m betting you can have it rebuilt.

I have a 78 Yamaha xs750 special that the starter seems to have gone bad on and I can't find a replacement. What starters can I swap into this bike?
Open it up and fix it. YouTube university. Do you have an electric shop in your town? Before covid, there were lots of little shops that rebuilt alternators, generators, starters, etc. Find one.

Before you get tore into the starter, you might want to check the wiring - solenoid receiving full power, the high-tension cable good, attachment secure and so on.

Open it up and fix it. YouTube university. Do you have an electric shop in your town? Before covid, there were lots of little shops that rebuilt alternators, generators, starters, etc. Find one.
Unfortunately no. I live in pretty much the middle of nowhere nebraska

Yeah #1, short the solenoid with a screwdriver....
Fortunately I've avoided collecting any triple parts.

Unfortunately, Yamaha sourced a one off starter that only fits the 750 triple. And only 3 years at that... '77, '78 and '79.

1706813477560.png

Back