xs850 frame compatible with xs650

briandrex

Snowtrain
Reaction score
I know someone that has a titled 1980 xs850 frame and I was wondering if I could use this for my 1981 untitled 650. I'm betting the answer is no but can't hurt to ask. :bike:

Thanks for the reply. Kinda what I thought but it was worth a shot. What is a decent price for just a titled frame for an xs650, 1981?

I've bought them for $50 and up before...That motor will fit in any year XS650 frame, although I believe the early front motor mounts are different than the later years...

I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for one. I'll be searching the want ads.

Good luck with that. I searched e-bay, craigslist and the local paper for a year looking for a "title only" for my 80xs. Closest I came was a title with the frame and wiring harness for $250 on e-bay. I think you can get one from a title company for around $200.

Good luck with that. I searched e-bay, craigslist and the local paper for a year looking for a "title only" for my 80xs. Closest I came was a title with the frame and wiring harness for $250 on e-bay. I think you can get one from a title company for around $200.

Is there a way to do a vin search to make sure the bike is not stolen? I think the guy I bought it from was honest but you never know. I don't need any problems if I try to apply for a title.

You could probably go to the DMV with the vin # and have them do a search but you might be opening up a real can of worms. If the bike is stolen you could be accused of the crime and possession of stolen property and at the very least the bike will be taken from you and returned to its rightful owner and you will be out your money. If the guy you bought it from had the title but simply lost it, he can apply for a replacement. If you want to be a nice guy tell him you will pay the cost of the replacement, around $50 I think. Once he has the replacement he signs it over to you and then you take that title to the DMV and apply for another one in your name and another $50. Thats how its done in NY. Other states may be different.............BG

Back