XSPerformance 48-spoke 18 inch rear rim

aldo5468

Redleg
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just recently installed an 18-inch, 48-spoke rear rim on my '82 Heritage Special - needed a new rear tire anyway, so right time to make the change. I like the double-laced look and wanted to keep it, so ordered this rim and the corresponding spoke set from Mike's XS, and a Bridgestone Battleax BT45, new tube & rim strip from BikeBandit. I hadn't seen any other pictures of this conversion, so thought I'd share this.

Good story here: I ordered the rim and spokes on July 31. Six days later, August 5, they were delivered to my door - except it was a 36-spoke rim. Saturday afternoon, August 6, I e-mailed Mike's XS explaining the problem. The very next day, SUNDAY, I get a response from Mike's authorizing me to return it, and a few days later, the correct 48-spoke rim:bike: was delivered. I really appreciate the immediate response, made on a weekend, and the fast action that Mike's took to get the right part to me.

Appearance-wise, it doesn't work too well with the Special seat and grabrail, but my plan is to go to a cafe-style seat and early-model taillight, after putting the 21-inch, 64-spoke rim with new Battleax on the front.

Attachments

• XSPerf18rearrim_1.JPG
    XSPerf18rearrim_1.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 169
  • XSPerf18rearrim_2.JPG
    XSPerf18rearrim_2.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 192
Back