yamaha r6 forks?

sluginxlt

xs6-fiddy
Reaction score
found a deal on 2007 yamaha r6 wheels and forks, anyone know what would need to be done to fit these forks? also im building my own hard tail but with the wider 180mm rear tire and wheel would i need to do anything with the front sprocket to match the wider wheel?

Typically a 180 tire goes on a 5.5" wide wheel. The stock xs wheel is ~3" wide iirc. I think you will either need a jackshaft or an ofset front sprocket, but I may be wrong

Google, Gary Poh XS650. He makes offset sprockets for the XS. Typically he will tell you that with a 180 tire you will have to go out to a .750" offset front sprocket. He makes the .750 for 180/200 tire conversions. He has quite a few posts up at 650motorcycles.com showing pics of hardtailed XS's with a 200 rear. Keep in mind Gary says that anything over roughly .250 offset front will require you to space the outer alternator cover out to make room for the sprocket (he sells the spacer), you will also need to lengthen your clutch pushrod (he sells this also). To get his whole kit is roughly $500 bucks, but you get the sprocket, spacer for cases, pushrod peice, gaskets, and instructions. I had him machine and heat treat a .250 offset front for me to run a 160 rear tire. I might have to drop down to a 150.

Justin

I run a 140 rear on my 760, it's got a couple of mm clearance both sides, without the chaingaurd on.

It is an Avon venom which do look a bit narrower and more rounded than some makes, not sure if it's an optical illusion or not:shrug:

As far as the forks go, It'll probably be best to swap the whole front end including the triple trees. Then you'll have to figure out how to get an XS650 steering stem into the R6 lower triple tree. It usually involves grinding off a weld at the bottom, pressing the old stem and figuring out how to making the new stem fit. Didn't Sky (Yamaha Chop) use an XS650 front end on his chopper?

It usually involves grinding off a weld at the bottom, pressing the old stem and figuring out how to making the new stem fit. Didn't Sky (Yamaha Chop) use an XS650 front end on his chopper?

I don't remember what he used, but I do remember he didn't use a xs650 triple tree. He might of swapped the stem (don't remember that part), but he definitely used another triple tree. I'll find his thread on 650 rider later. Watching a movie with the g/f and I'm getting an evil eye right now.

Back