Yamaha XS 650H Special II Exhaust Problems?

neither he or you are able to to establish whether or not there is actually a fuel delivery problem or not ?

It's established it's either fuel delivery or a compression problem.

Apparently you didn't read the part about him looking in the float bowls and finding them all gummed up. He was running the bike like that until it up and quit. That pretty much guarantees he has sucked all kinds of gunk into the passageways and plugged things up. I was taking carbs apart when I was 14. Are you saying today's youth are inept, stupid, and have no mechanical skills? Sounds that way.

IamTheMarcus,

I made up a thread that may help you a lot, (in conjunction with the members here), Especially read the links in posts 16/17 , the manual page is for the early bs38 carbs so don't use that as a reference for your BS34's. There are links in post 5 to later manuals, (G/SG H/SH), that have the BS34's in them

This thread will help you a lot so keep it bookmarked, lots of learning links spread through out the thread.

There's no guarantees when working on old motorcycles. However, the pilot circuit/idle circuit/low speed circuit is known to cause a lot of problems.

When was the last time your engine ran well, or did you just buy it? What is the history of the engine?
The engine ran well about a month ago when I was actually riding it around, at this point in time, both cylinders fired fine. And before I obtained the bike, it was sitting in a barn for at least 10+ years without maintenance.

As you've discovered, there's more to cleaning carbs than just cleaning the outsides and any areas and parts you can see in the float bowls. You have to clean the internal passageways and jets, the paths the fuel uses to get from the bowl into the main bore of the carb. From your description of how gummed up you found things in your float bowls, I would say a full strip and cleaning is required. That means removing the main and pilot jets, the mix screw and it's associated parts, and last but not least, the needle jet. Many overlook the needle jet and that's a big mistake. It can and does get terribly gummed up.
All of that was cleaned, I was very vague on the description of the cleaning we did, although we went very thoroughly in cleaning it. (Taking out those parts you described)

Apparently you didn't read the part about him looking in the float bowls and finding them all gummed up. He was running the bike like that until it up and quit. That pretty much guarantees he has sucked all kinds of gunk into the passageways and plugged things up. I was taking carbs apart when I was 14. Are you saying today's youth are inept, stupid, and have no mechanical skills? Sounds that way.
The bike was never run with the carbs being gummed up. So we had to take them off and clean them before the bike would even start. It may partake to you guys that I may be inept or stupid, though I find an interest in motorcycles, this motorcycle is the first motorcycle I've ever had, so I actually don't have much mechanical skills, but I understand what you all have been saying mostly.

no I was saying that it is irresponsible to propose stripping complex components to correct a fault when you haven't first tried to ascertain what the fault is through some basic non-intrusive testing first .

You don't know for sure that it is a fuel delivery problem!:doh:

it takes seconds to check the spark plugs to get a definitive picture of how a cylinder is running and get something diagnostic.

Stripping carbs because you suspect a fuel delivery problem without first doing some basic visual checks like..... fuel in the tank, fuel tap turned on, blocked or reversed fuel filters, blocked pipes, fuel on the spark plug after repeated starting attempts etc is dumb.

I just checked the spark from the spark plugs and they seem to be sparking fine, although I have about 1/6 of a tank of my 3.9 gal tank. I will be filling up my tank tomorrow, due to me winterizing my bike since up in Wisconsin it's pretty cold :p

Alright so I swapped wires, putting the left side spark plug connector on to the right side, started up, and still the right side warmed up, and not the left. I'm guessing both leads are intact and working. So I'm not sure what to do next... :/

Post 3 and 8

I will not be able to check the compression until my dad's friend finds his compression tester.

Until then you can stick your thumb on the spark plug hole while the motor is turning and see if you feel pressure. If there was a hole in the piston or valve you'd feel little or none. If you don't feel any pressure, problem solved ;) During that test wrap a wire around the threads on that plug and attach the other end under some random nut to ground it. Not having the threads grounded with the motor turning can hurt the ignition coil. Also I think that;s one of the tools you can borrow from parts stores. They make you put a deposit down and when you bring it back they return all the deposit.

What does the left plug look/smell like when you pull it? A failed diaphragm on the vacuum petcock is common. Remove the vacuum line from the LH intake manifold, block off the port on the manifold. (short piece of rubber tube and a bolt work fine) run the petcock in the prime position. Does that change how it runs? Where in WI are you?

So it's not too likely to be a plugged idle circuit. Smell your engine oil too. Check that petcock as I mentioned.
I could stop and look some time. There is a guy real good with 650s that lives in Sun Praire also he might be willing to help out a bit.

Remove the vacuum line from the LH intake manifold, block off the port on the manifold. (short piece of rubber tube and a bolt work fine) run the petcock in the prime position. Does that change how it runs?

> Smelled the Oil, it's a little dirty, but it's starting to smell like old varnished gas I guess you can say. Color is still a bit goldish. (Will be changing it probably before the bike gets put down for the winter.)

> I plugged up the intake from the manifold, and it seemed to run normal, with just the right cylinder firing..

> When would you have the time to come check it out? I'm guessing it would cost a bit of money...? Otherwise where could I contact this Sun Prairie 650's guy?

Last edited:
Okay so, there was finally enough warmth to take the bike out of the garage, put it into gear and ride it around a tiny bit. It's not generating much power, just on the one cylinder working. I know this because I have to give it quite a bit of throttle to pick up a speed and before I actually gain the speed the left exhaust lets out a huge backfire, probably loud enough to compare it to a gun shot. :/

When you worked on the carbs did you remove the float valves and change the O-rings or install new float valve bodies? those O-rings are almost always rock hard and allow fuel to bypass the valve flooding the cylinder. did you set float heights?

When you worked on the carbs did you remove the float valves and change the O-rings or install new float valve bodies? those O-rings are almost always rock hard and allow fuel to bypass the valve flooding the cylinder. did you set float heights?
We didn't put any new parts into the carbs, just cleaned them, the float heights were at the correct height. (Probably should of bought a kit to rebuild it.. :/)

On the carb rebuild kits. the brass parts that come in the kits are generic. They may or may not be what you need.
Mikuni built BS34 carbs for many bikes, Probably atvs and snowmobiles as well as watercraft. Each application needed slightly different parts. The kits come with parts that work in some applications.
Best to tear down, clean, inspect what you have then order just the parts you need.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help you on this.
Leo

It sounds like you have extreme flooding of the LH cylinder, do not keep running the engine like that, washdown loss of lube on that piston, thinned crankcase oil etc. IMHO those carbs need to come off again. I'd be willing to bet on a bad o-ring, let us know what you find. A "will fit" oring can usually be found at the local auto parts store.

Back