Yamaha XS chop

vonyinzer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all... Just a quick rundown of my XS chop for anyone who may be interested. Shes almost done. Should be wrapped up in a week or so.

I had picked up an HD Ironhead project awhile back, and wasnt really into it. The bike needed a bunch of work, and I got it for next to nothing so I had zero emotion tied up in it. So I posted it on a few forums for trade and was offered this:

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDMyNDIwMTIxNDM4MTIuanBn.jpg

Had the Mikes XS flatslide carbs, PAMCO ignition, upgraded charging system, one piece pushrod, Pandemonium pipes, TC Bros hardtail (more on that later :wtf:), etc...

The Wassell tank was cool, but not my thing so it went away. As did the "gimp" bars and cobra seat. I dig 60s style bikes, but wanted something a little more subtle.

Next version rocked the ever loved sporty tank, z-bars and white Biltwell solo.

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQwMzIwMTIxODU4MzkuanBn.jpg

I wasnt loving it...

So, the bars, seat, the goofy headlight, and the Sporty tank went away.

The great people over at dotheton.com where Ive been a member for years hooked me up with a DT250 tank, and a nice old vintage solo seat.

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQxMzIwMTIxODIzMTYuanBn.jpg

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQxMzIwMTIxODI0NDMuanBn.jpg

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQxMzIwMTIxODI1MTguanBn.jpg

Nice and skinny...

At this point I needed some welding and whatnot done that I couldnt do in my diningroom, so I loaded her up and headed to my buddy Brads in MD.

Beers, Jack, and a welder all got abused...

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQyMzIwMTIwOTAxNDIuanBn.jpg

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQyMzIwMTIwOTAxMDAuanBn.jpg

A new Bates style 4" headlight, clip ons, and a rediculous sissybar got fabbed up and mounted... Oh, and the trailer fender got replaced with a nice Suzuki T500 fender, which also donated its front fender to the bike.

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQyMjIwMTIwMzUxMzcuanBn.jpg

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQyMzIwMTIwOTAwMjkuanBn.jpg

At this point I needed to head back to PA, so Brad and his buddy Lockard kept the bike and are wrapping up the welding for me. Cant thank those guys enough.

Anyhow, while figuring out some tank mounts and tinkering, they realized that the "shop" that mounted the hardtail effed it up...

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQyNTIwMTIxMjAyMTQuanBn.jpg

Problem solved...

Brad welded up a little battery box from scrap steel at work for me and we welded it into the frame down low.

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQwODIwMTIxNTQ0MzcuanBn.jpg

So, now I just need to pick her up next weekend. Ill pull the tins for paint, touch up the paint on the frame, and wire it up.

Heres how it sits now...

9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDQyNTIwMTIxNDI2MDguanBn.jpg

Once I get it, Ill get more detailed pics of the uber awesome tank mounts that Brad fabbed up. You'll dig 'em, I promise...

Also...

The cheap shitty "chopper" throttle will get replaced with a 70s DT400 unit, with built in kill switch.

The PO installed a neat 2 pot Brembo caliper up front on the 21" DT alloy hoop laced with new spokes to the XS hub. The caliper was a little tight, so it got shaved down a bit.

The horrid "scissor" style seat springs got swapped for some much nice "beehive" style ones.

OH YA! The crown jewel of the build...

light1.jpg

light4.jpg

Its a one off taillight, made from a 1960s Honda S90 piston and a mess of LEDs. My buddy Lee at Homage Moto Works whipped that up awhile back, and I knew I had to have it. Too cool.

Glad to see the bikes a hit! Hahaha...

Anyhow, shes been out terrorizing the locals looking like this for awhile:

b0875f2b.jpg

Ended up using an old Sporty tank that I had lying around, as the DT tank had some issues with the liner I used.

Runs pretty good, except for those damned "PWK" carbs from MikesXS. I hate them. Ha.

Theyre getting replaced with some VM 34s asap.

The new tires are Shinko 705s and they kick ass. Super grippy on all roads.

Still needs some bugs ironed out, and if I can swing it, Im grabbing another frame and going with the "Visual Impact" brat kit. Love the hardtail, but not as my only scoot. I have another bike Ill be hardtailing here eventually.

So, thanks for looking... I guess. :laugh:

Dude this is the first time I caught this, looking sick!

You got quite a loaded bike in that trade. Love what you've done with it. Too bad no dice on that DT tank, it's so badass looking.

Thanks man. It'll be nicer with the new carbs when its running right. As stated it wont be staying this way either. I have some big plans for it...

Thanks! On a positive note, I get to keep the bike. Its going back funded the knife here though. Just wasn't happy with it. Wasn't "finished" enough. Hopefully I'll have some cool update pics soon.

That's a sick looking scoot man! Has lots of character and looks tough and I'm really diggin the tank with stickers all over it:thumbsup:

Back