For Sale - Yamaha XS1b motor 1971-$175 "Buy It Now"-Ebay find

Yamakazi

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ebay find...not mine

$175 "Buy it now" price...or can bid on it starting at $100.

1971 Yamaha 650 twin motor. This came from a bike that was stored in a barn for 10 years. Odometer shows 9000 miles. Engine turns over and trans shifts. I have not had this engine running. This is the non electric start model. The left side cover is discolored by old gas leak and should polish out easily.
Sold AS IS-No Warrantee.
I prefer pick up but will ship IF: 1) buyer makes PREPAID freight arrangements, or 2) I will take motor to shipping terminal after Paypal payment of item , $50 handling charge (which includes engine strapped to shipping pallet) and shipping charges. I have two freight terminals within 50 miles. UPS and FedEx. I live in the country so UPS freight will only ship terminal to terminal, or terminal to business. NO residential pick up or delivery. FedEx will deliver to a residence but extra fees are expensive. This engine and pallet weigh around 175# and cross country shipping is not cheap! I WILL NOT DISMANTLE MOTOR AND SHIP IN MULTIPLE BOXES. The pallet is ready and I will shrink wrap and then strap motor to pallet using ratchet straps. Final payment and price will be established at auction end and I will give you actual shipping quote from dock to your closest terminal for pick up.
If you want to meet me somewhere to do exchange I will charge $1 mile after first 50 miles up to 150 miles.
I have other 650 parts so if I have it and you want it I'll set up a Buy It Now for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb52a6d52

Last edited:
what would be the hazards of putting this motor in my bike? how different is it from the 78 motor that i have in it now? are there any significant differences or problems?

different crank, rods, pistons, cam for starters. 22mm piston pin vs 20mm for later (74-) engines. No# of teeth on cam and crank gears are different. You can't use Mike's 5th gear overdrive gear. Experts, what else did I miss. I think it will bolt in with earlier head steady. I could be wrong. Hazards? Just the usual "unknown motor" stuff.

add; No electric start, different cam-chain tensioner.
It'll bolt straight in , its more powerful than a 447 but its not as strong a motor as later 447 & 533 models. Saying that its still tougher/reliable than any other contemporary parrallel twin of equal capacity

Located near Springfield IL IIRC he had a couple of engines on Craigslist for quite a while.

Theres one on Ebay UK for £849 start! Its not even complete!Item number: 350430977887

One of my rules when buying from ebay is they have to give me a price for shipping before i will bid. getting a price after the bidding has stopped is fraught with danger.

1: they can charge what they like for postage
2: if you reneg after that you can get a non payer mark against you
3: the seller can give you a negative feedback

All they have to do is make a phone call to fedX or usps with your post code for a post quote

Back