Yamaha YZF front forks modification!

I was under the impression that you can use the R1 stem as well by using the All Balls racing bearing kits, is this not the case?

Not sure about that. For one, the stem of the R1 is shorter than the XS's, and the OD is bigger as well, and there is a step in the stem also. Trust me, I tried!!:laugh:

Also stuck on a few of the same places others have got to,

I have installed my triple tree and r1 front forks all fine, plan on using the stock xs650 front wheel and thats when i get a little stuck.

I cannot for the life of me find any wheel bearings to use for this conversion, i did see somewhere 47mm x 22mm x 16mm but when i bring that up in any searches they just don't seem to exist.

And the last thing i want to do is use stock R1 front wheel with the 16" rear mag wheel. would look horrible.

Any help or suggestions from anyone?

:thumbsup:

Thanks so much for reply,

Amazing work on both those builds mate, really something to look up to as my build goes along! I will be starting a new thread soon as more stuff arrives in the post.

I shall give those bearings a go for sure, do you think they will work with the mag wheels too?

And did you need to buy or make any spacers?

Huge thanks again!

Hi No worries - If you get stuck just PM me. I am actually on with the same challenge on the Board tracker build now, so we are in the same boat :)

As far as I know the mag wheels bearing sizes are the same - but worth a swift check.

Yep - you'll definitely need to factor in spacers for:

1. The axle - to take up the additional gap between the hub and the bearing. if you have a lathe, you're flying. Alternatively, a machine shop would be able to knock those out fairly easily

2. The brake rotors - chance are you'll need to add spacers to "pack" the rotor out to align with the calipers on the wider R1 forks. As you're using the stock 6 bolt 64mm ID, 80mm PCD rotor pattern, check these guys out and order the relevant size spacers http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ProJection...race-and-track-parts-/_i.html?_fsub=450135919

The broad tracker is looking great!

Yeah they look to be the same size so a nice little eBay shopping trip has got them sorted! Nice One!

Yeah i have bought some stuff in the past for my R6 from projection, they do some great work!

As far as lathes go, i wish i was blessed enough to have one, or even someone i could borrow one from but sadly not.

So i will have to contact a machine shop somehow, few and far between in London, well there are plenty but not many that willingly take on such small work from previous enquiries i have made...

Re lathes - this is all I use at the mo - https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cl300m-metal-lathe/
If you get on the VAT free day list for Machine Mart it helps on larger purchases too. Alternatively, have a look on ebay - there's usually some reasonable deals on there too.
They may seem like a bit of an outlay, but the amount of use you get from them, especially on a build, pay for itself in weeks. As you say the faff and hassle of trying a) find a machine shop and b) a shop that is willing to help in your time frame, is a hell of a pain in the arse!

For sure it would pay for itself in no time and thats a pretty good price, but again, nothing i can afford with everything else going on right now...

This is where I become cheeky and ask if you fancy letting me pay you for those spacer?

:D

lol

Get your front end on and mocked up, then let's look at the sizes you need. if you can do a simple technical drawing - ID, OD and length - I'll see what I can do ;)

Back