? Years owned and mileage put on

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering about the wrenching vs riding on these bikes.
Got mine in July of 2007, an eBay non-running pig in the poke, and currently have 6,681 miles on. That's about the equivalent of going from here to California, back across the continent to N.J and then back home.

Owned 15 mos. and have put 13,000 mi. on. Sitting close to 30,000 at the moment. Never left me stranded, but teased me and made me play with her a couple of times. I wrench her at least once a week, whether she needs it or not :)

1 year 0 miles. Everything is switched over to the titled frame; just can't get her to fire!!! Just getting a little putt every 6 kicks or so. Suspecting weak spark. Very frustrating.

hi i,ve owned my xs650 since 2000,,, purchased with a tax return,,,,, ,i,ve got too say its never dissappointed me at all ,,,and at that stage i didn,t have $15000 to spend on a new bike with a warrantry.. you do need to do maintenance to these bikes,,, as any old bike and not run and maintain them on nothing.. as it will cost you long term

1 year 0 miles. Everything is switched over to the titled frame; just can't get her to fire!!! Just getting a little putt every 6 kicks or so. Suspecting weak spark. Very frustrating.

+1

2 years and 0 miles.. speedo that came with the bike reads 54,600 kms buts it not the original one.. so mystery mileage for me.

About 5 years and 10K miles - but I have about a half dozen other bikes, lol. When you ride mostly old bikes like I do, you need a couple because one always seems to need something done to it, lol.

I have had my 83 the longest, about 3 years maybe a total of about 600 miles in three years? She's showing just over 10K miles now. I am pretty sure I am running 5 to 10 hours of wrenching for each one of riding and that's for all my bikes combined. But I'm good with that.
My newest bike is only 13 years old and is showing 45,000 miles. I put about 3 of that on it.

6 years given to me in fair shape by a good friend who wasn't up to giving it what it needed, lots of TLC, tires, leaky seals, cables, battery, $ etc. But did run. 12,000 now around 40,000 now. As my learner its suffered some abuse, but weathered my mistakes well. Its very reliable, but loves and must have attention and has served me well, gets looks every where i go.
I just wish i had the time and $ to get the nicer one (82 Heritage ) in the shed rideable. as 5twins said it would be good to have more than one to ride on the days it needs something.
It would be fun to have a shed full!

Bought it from the original owner who bought it new in 1981, owned 10 months, rode maybe 60 miles. Needs the charging system worked over, been a long time I have been putting that off.

Have had my 80 special for almost a year. speedo says she has 24,000 ,but the engine is from a 79 special soooooo :shrug: I've ridin her about 200miles if that. Longest ride was for about an hour and change and at the end off it Dog jumped out in front of the rider ahead of me and finished the ride for us (had to lay her down on fresh gravel, got the scars to prove it) :cussing:
She needed everything gone over and still needs things (of course). More time under the wrench then on the seat...but it's love hate :D I wrench about any chance I get ( she needs it) although I do see a light at the end of the tunnel, it may be the train though....

Bought the bike in 2007,and have driven about 7000 kms. 6 months of winter is this part of the country, so cuts down available driving time, not to mention it has rained for the last month.

Very reliable bike, always starts perfectly and just a blast to ride.

The PO's had done minimal maintenance, so required a top end rebuild initially. Now it only requires oil/filter changes, clean the air filters and lube the chain................very little ongoing wrenching. Once a year, remove and measure brushes, clean up the slip rings, clean and regrease the clutch worm gear actuator.

had mine since 08, removed all the gauges so no idea on the miles. Im on the 3rd engine, and have made a few trips from denver to cali/vegas/mexico, plus commuting in town.

Well, let's see...

I brought her home in August '07 as a non-runner, in the back of a buddy's Ford F150, and she was on the lower end of 18k. Now, she has 18,687 miles. So, I'd say I have done around 400+ miles of dial-in and diagnostic miles. Now, in June '11, I'm starting to think about just "riding" and reaping some of my reward. She is like the girl that we have all known at least once in our lives: I want to trust her, and I'm not quite there yet... but she sure is a looker. Fingers crossed.

TC

I've had my bike 10 days now! I've put about 300 miles on it. I was told there was a tear in a carburetor seal or something and it would make it ride rough, but I have nothing to compare it to, and it hasn't let me down yet. There are lots of things I want to change on it, but I don't have an available workspace so it'll stay the same until I move. It's a ton of fun though. I'm proud to own it.

i got mine in feb 2011. Odo said about 13300 but the po said he changed it with another one. the old one had 6k less. rode it maybe 30 miles and sent it to powdercoating. finally got it back at the middle of june? and now it has 13474 (7474?) Hasnt left me stranded but has had its fair share of problems. mainly dumb stuff. Pretty sure im gonna keep it...

My First XS 650 was a 1979, I rode it 18-23k miles a year for 8 years, then sold it for what I bought it for.

Thats why Im building another

Back