Yellow wire in the stator. Need Help

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, Im replacing the plastic covering that my 6 wires from the alternator are protected in. Mine is stiff, cracked and broken in places. Ive read you do not use the yellow wire. I was wondering if I can cut that wire down close in at the alternator since I have the old covering off. Any percausions to cutting that off down in the alternator? It will be a lot easier to pull just the 5 wires through the new covering. thanks

On the 76 model the yellow goes to a relay that prevents the starter from engaging while the engine is running. On later models it also switched the head light on. Keep your yellow wire.

thanks for the reply, mine is a brat build with no original wiring. Do you see any harm in getting rid of the yellow wire. All the schematics for simplified wiring show the yellow wire done away with a wire nut.

Just so happens I'm doing the same thing with my stator (Needs new covering). I'm trying to come up with a source for the tubing. What are you using?

Will have to be big enough for all six wires. I'm thinking some heat shrink of appropriate size.??? Don't cut the yellow off at the housing. If you don't need the safety relay then just dead end it in the connector. That way if ever you change your mind it'll be there. :shrug:IMHO.

Just so happens I'm doing the same thing with my stator (Needs new covering). I'm trying to come up with a source for the tubing. What are you using?

Will have to be big enough for all six wires. I'm thinking some heat shrink of appropriate size.??? Don't cut the yellow off at the housing. If you don't need the safety relay then just dead end it in the connector. That way if ever you change your mind it'll be there. :shrug:IMHO.

I got covering at cycleterminal on line. It was thin wall pvc tube and tuff as nails. Has lot of connectors and such. Fast shipping also. I bought the 3/8 if you want all 6 wires you should get the 7/16 Im thinking. You might be able to get all the wires in the 3/8 but It would be hard. IMHO
9.5 mm (3/8) $1.40 per foot VW-1 10mm
11 mm (7/16) $1.60 per foot VW-1 11mm

Im going to run 5 wires up to my headlight bucket and I know I can get them in the 3/8 tube as they will not have the cloth covering like the alternator wires have. And 2 of my wires will be 16ga. the other 3 14ga

Last edited:
Thanks man. Cycle Terminal looks like they carry everything you would need for bike related electrical stuff now and in the future. COOL.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html

Think I'm still leaning toward heat shrink for this application. Just to make it easier to get the wires threaded in there. As you know.....

The yellow wires carries voltage up to the safety relay. If you are going kick only then removing the wire is ok, But you need to protect the end of the yellow wire from shorting to ground. Just cutting it off will cause you grief.
I would run it up through the new cover and cap it off up where you know it can't get shorted out.
Leo

Im not kick only but I do not have the safety relay in my bike. I dont plan on using the button on the handle bars for a start button. I have a small button in my electronics box for starting with electric start. And have a switch to flip before the headlight will come on.
Thanks for all the reply s guys

Back