Yet another Starter won't turn engine question...

meanstreakmark

Thinkologist
Reaction score
Hi guys... I've tried to do research on this problem before I asked here, and I've not found a problem/solution quite like mine?!?

On my 81, it kick starts quite well. But I have never been able to start it electrically. When I first got the bike, the electric start would barely turn over the engine even with a brand new fully charged battery. As it did turn the engine, it would make a sound like ... whomp......whomp......whomp. And the turning was s-l-o-w.

Recently, I found another member here who was selling off parts, and I bought his two starters - one of which was off an 80 (I believe) that only had about 4 to 6 thousand miles on it. It looks new. It did spin quite well when I applied battery power to it. Didn't test it for amp draw, etc. Anyhow, out with the old and in with the new.

Now, the engine won't even turn over with the (new) starter. Like the starter doesn't have enough power, or some gearset is too tight or something. Once or twice I did get it to turn over, but b-a-r-e-l-y. Still new battery fully charged.

Any ideas?

Did you have the battery load tested? Went to buy a battery at batteries plus a couple of monthe ago and the new battery off the shelf was no good on a load test.I have also had a battery that showed 12.8V but died on the load test.
You could try going directly from the battery to the starter bypassing the solenoid to see if that could be a problem.
Check main ground cable from battery to make sure it's clean and tight.

Just a few ideas.

Grinder- I did not have the battery tested... bought it at Wally World. :doh: I did attempt to jump the leads at the starter relay... all of the above symptoms. Ground cable from battery is new (Mikes) and I sanded attachment point to the frame.

There was just a recent post about wal mart batteries and not so good comments. Can you jump the starter off of a car battery just to see if it works with a different battery? Unhook the starter cable from the solenoid and hook the positive cable to it and ground the other cable to the bike...watch the sparks near the battery though.

There was just a recent post about wal mart batteries and not so good comments. Can you jump the starter off of a car battery just to see if it works with a different battery? Unhook the starter cable from the solenoid and hook the positive cable to it and ground the other cable to the bike...watch the sparks near the battery though.

I will try this this evening and report back...

Back