New Guy here!

Jake2345

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Jacob, over the summer I had the chance to buy a XS650 and well....I think its the best thing I have ever bought!
Its a 1982, been in a guys garage for 24 years! I had to put new tires one it, clean the carbs, and he did a oil change to it...ran into some issues but its currently getting fixed up!
Carbs have been rebuilt now, charging system was giving me a bunch of problems but as far as I know now its fixed, and the stock air box was removed for a better set of air filters(my new mechanic told me it was WWWAAAYYY better)! Plan is to put aftermarket pipes and, maybe rejet the carbs then leave it alone....I like the look of this beast!

Cheers
Jacob

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 108
Looks like you got a nice clean one. Good platform for whatever you want to do with it.
What are your plans?

To be honest I think I'm going to be keeping it stock....I really wanted to do a cafe bike but after seeing how nice it looked I left it alone.

To be honest I think I'm going to be keeping it stock....I really wanted to do a cafe bike but after seeing how nice it looked I left it alone.

Hi Jake and welcome,
Yeah, Yamaha mostly got it right but there are a few upgrades:-
The rototiller bars are an ergonomic disaster, swap them for something lower and straighter.
The stock fabric-reenforced front brake line time-expired in 1987. Upgrade to stainless lines then drill the bejazus out of the front brake disk.
You may notice that the front brake lacks feel. That's because the master cylinder was sized to operate two front calipers and the effin' stylists thought the North American versions looked better with just one.
Choose between adding the leftside disk and caliper, (XS750/850/1100 Standard caliper bolts right on, as does a second XS650 brake disk) or fitting a smaller piston-size aftermarket master cylinder.

Nice looking machine. Just changing the bars to some lower ones and a flatter seat will completely change the look.

Thanks guys....now about the brakes...is that a relatively easy change? I've got to do my drum so I might do the front too. I personally like the way the bars look...kinda reminds me of the old triumphs...however if anybody has any pictures that they can show me that would be great! Also I'm putting in 10w40 for oil, is that the correct weight? Anything else i should change or fix?

Thanks guys....now about the brakes...is that a relatively easy change? I've got to do my drum so I might do the front too. I personally like the way the bars look...kinda reminds me of the old triumphs...however if anybody has any pictures that they can show me that would be great! Also I'm putting in 10w40 for oil, is that the correct weight? Anything else i should change or fix?

Hi Jake,
working on XS650 hydraulic brakes is reasonably simple although they can be a swine to bleed.
It ain't if bars remind you of an old Triumph, it's how comfortable they are to ride and the Special's rototiller bars just ain't.
Look in Skull's "XS650 I.D." posts to see photos of XS650 Standards, those bars are far nicer to ride with.
I run 20W50 myself. And make sure it says "for 4cycle motorcycles" right on the container.

Ok. I have a mechanic who did the oil change and I believe he put 10w40. Just wanted to check on what oil you guys recommend. Also I want to put short reverse megaphone mufflers on...I believe they are 12 inch....will that still work? I'm just going to use the stock headers as well

I apologize now if I'm kinda going all over the place, I'm in the process of learning about this wonderful machine, my last bike...well te previous owner hadn't taken very good care of it and the motor went while I was on the highway...needless to say I want this bike in tiptop shape, however it might not all get done at once but it will!

Ok. I have a mechanic who did the oil change and I believe he put 10w40. Just wanted to check on what oil you guys recommend. Also I want to put short reverse megaphone mufflers on...I believe they are 12 inch....will that still work? I'm just going to use the stock headers as well

Hi Jake,
we just broke rule #1 Do NOT start an oil thread!
Whatever oil you use, change it frequently. The XS650 oil filters are a joke and the all roller and ball engine plays hell with the oil's longevity.
On to the exhaust system.
Your '82 has the mufflers welded to the headers, there's a leftside and a rightside half that are joined with a crosstube at the front ends of the mufflers.
And the headers are double-walled, the inner pipe carries the exhaust and the outer pipe is chromed to look good.
If the stock exhaust system ain't rusted into holes, fer chrissake leave it alone; cutting & welding it to fit shorties is a chore and a waste of original parts.
If your aesthetic sense insists on having shorties, buy pattern pipes and shorties from MikesXS and sell your stock system to see most, if not all, of your money back.

My apologies! Didnt mean to break the rules, just was double checking that....a friend of mine has a 1976 CB550 and told me to put motorcycle 10w30 in it cause of winter....and then the old mechanic i was using to work on the bike said i shouldnt put anything but motorcycle 10w40....but thats not why i started this thread.
Just out of curiousity what pipes do you have on your bike? I just recently got my carbs rebuilt and the guy had to turn the mixture up a tadbit because he put aftermarket airfilters on, if i put different pipes on typical you HAVE to rejet, or if its running fine can i get away with the stock ones? Would it be better to rejet when i put the new pipes on anyways? Sorry if i come across a bit "dumb" to this, as this is my second bike and im still very very new to the XS650.
Other than what you mentioned is there anything i should look into? I will add this, the bike is a daily rider and might go on a trip or two but nothing more.
P.s.
Thank you for the assistance so far!

My apologies! Didnt mean to break the rules, - - -

Hi Jake,
no need to apologise; same like don't start tire discussions it ain't exactly a rule, more of a dreadful warning about triggering extreme opinions!
10W30, 10W40, 20W50, all motorcycle rated, 15W40 Diesel rated, 15W40DR/20W50 cocktail, and those are the more sensible choices.
I think we had one guy who recommended washing the whole motor out with kerosene and running on Castrol R but he was even older than me and has gone on to Glory.
Re-jetting after carb and/or exhaust mods?
Maybe. Depends on how extreme the mods were. Also Canadian XS650s were not lean-jetted as severely as the US models so you can get away with more.
My own Canadian model Heritage Special has been swapped to pod air filters and had it's stock exhaust punched out; seems to still run OK on the factory jetting.

Welcome Jacob...
My 3cents on bleeding brakes. My method that I use is straightforward, simple, and works like a charm.
Get a clean jar, some clear vinyl tubing that just fits over the nipple on the caliper, and some clean DOT 3 or 4 fluid.
Set the jar on a stool or something to where it is just above the level of the nipple. Pour about 2 inches of fluid into it and put the tube onto the nipple after loosening it a bit. Inject some fluid into the tube with an old syringe till it is full and stick the other end in the jar with the fluid in it. Loosen the nipple, and make sure your reservoir is full.
Now simply pump your brake lever and watch all the air bubbles enter the tube and travel uphill, as air does in a fluid. You may have to wiggle the tube to get them moving.
As you release the lever, the fluid will run downhill into the caliper, as fluid does.
Keep doing this till there is no more air bubbles. Tighten your nipple, refill the reservoir and you can figure the rest... Good luck and good riding...

Totally understand, i believe the new mechanic put on velocity stacks on it....ive got to double check though. He said that it would be MUCH better for the bike, he also added that he had to lean the carbs a bit more because of that, thats where that came from. As for the brakes im gonna try and get that done in later January early February, just bit by bit. If i get a chance ill take some more photos of the bike and throw them up here! By the way, thank you again for the help guys!

My bike and my dads bike! And yes the milage on my bike is correct

Attachments

• 20141226_144356.jpg
    20141226_144356.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20141226_144453.jpg
    20141226_144453.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20141226_144346.jpg
    20141226_144346.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 89
Back