XS650B - Left hand and right hand cables

DaveO

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there

I've done a search and I have a manual (It's in one of twenty cardboard boxes, possibly) so be gentle if this is a much answered question.

The bike fired up and after a while the revs went through the roof. Closer inspection showed damaged cables. (As the bike hasn't run in five years I am relieved not to have to spend the summer poking pipe-cleaners into every carburettor orifice.) I can get the cables online but I was curious to see that there was a "left" and "right" cable listed. I expected two cables, but not for them to be "handed". They are £26 each plus postage so I thought I'd get the old ones off and see what was involved in making up cables or salvaging the bits I have.

I was surprised to find that they are different - and not just in length. I would have thought that they would be the same.

Anyway - the LONGER one was one the right-hand-side which threw me.

SO

1. Has the previous owner fitted them incorrectly? Which goes where?

2. Only the sleeving is damaged. It's completely broken through in a couple of places. Should I use all the old bits and just replace the outer? The inner seems fine.

3. Should I do as my conscience tells me and get all new bits? (I'll have to use the angled bit in first photo.)

4. From lurking around the forum I suspect there is a "one into two" cable used on other years. Can I use one of these? It looks like it would all work fine if I did.

Throttle End

13072013667.jpg

Carburettor end

13072013668.jpg

Dave

They used the two cables up till 75, then they went with linked carbs with one cable, no two into one.
The easiest way to use one cable is to get a 76 up carb set.
The only problem with swapping the old inner to new outer is getting the old ends off and put back on.
Me, I would just get new cables.
Heiden tuning has the right cable for E17,00, no left.
Shop around you might find them at a better price.
Leo

I repair the outer sheaths with heat shrink tubing.

Thanks XSLeo and 5twins

The heatshrink idea is a good one and would tidy up one cable nicely but the other is broken in at least two places. The integrity of the cable might be maintained though if it was cable tied to the frame either side of the break.

I've found a place that sells the bits I need. I've also found a shop (you know the sort with oil on the floor) which makes and repairs cables.

I've got the £50+ but where's the fun in that?

Any ideas on whether the longer one goes left or right? I sort of thought the PO had got it wrong. No biggy though. I'm sure a bit of trial and error will sort it.

Dave

I don't recall exactly how they where on my 75. I have used several carb sets on it.
I think the cables ran from the throttle over between the gauges and headlight and ran down the left side of the frame with the left cable to the left side and the right cable crossing under the frame backbone tube to the right carb.
Leo

:laugh:

Yeah, but which is the left and which is the right? On mine the longer one was on the right. That seems counterintuitive to me, so I think the PO fitted them wrong. No problem, I'll try them both ways if necessary and test on full lock both ways. (The pics show the difference in length, about a couple of inches.)

Really appreciate the time you've taken to reply.

Dave

Look at the throttle The cables come out in a left and right. The right has a longer bend to clear the left.
Where they go up against the housing they have a round flange with a flat side. The cables only fit one way.
To fit the way as described, one cable, the right has to be slightly longer.
Leo

Back