stupid oil slinger!!(Honda)

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
so I have pretty much wrapped up my front end upgrade on my 71 xs, and have moved on to rebuilding my 1972 xl250. Last summer it kind of ran, would barely hold compression. needle would go up, and fall to zero just as quickly. Before I yanked the motor out, I tried to start it. Nothing. Yanked the motor, pulled the head. The intake valves are a rusty mess. So, I'm having woody take a look at it. He's been building this era of bikes since they came out. Haven't heard back. But in the mean time, The cylinder still spec's to standard, although glazed. The piston looks perfect. So I'm thinking monkey ball, and new rings, back in business.
On to the lower case. Manual, and thumper talk, is adamant about cleaning out the centrifugal oil filter, which is un accessible unless the case cover is off. Took that off. Inside the engine looks very clean. Last summer when I was riding it, I put a cup of kerosene in the oil to loosen, clean up, because I knew a rebuild was going to happen, here we are.
The filter is bolted to the crank end, meshed to the clutch basket. Cant get to the nut that holds it on until the internal snap ring is removed, and according to the Clymer, The top just lifts off. Ok, got the snap ring off, Top is stuck. I heated it with a heat gun, several times, soaked the thing with pb blaster for 2 weeks. Last night, I said motherfucker is coming off today!!
after google imaging, and looking at them on ebay to see exactly how that top is on there, Verified it should just wiggle out/off. Took a screw driver to the center hole, wedged a vice grip to the screw, and started hammering. It came off. Its sealed with what used to be a fiber gasket, but since I fried it, I'm not sure what it was.
Guess what?!?! Spotless inside. I had read that because these filters are a bitch to get into, they never get cleaned, clog up, then no oil goes to the top end. bye, bye cam.
But now at least I know its clean. Jumped on ebay and bought 2 good used filters.
I think it was cleaned out by the kerosene I fed it last summer. When I first got it running, the motor was throwing off a lot of heat. at the end of the summer, it seemed normal. Some passage may have been clogged. and then freed up.
I wasn't planning on taking the cases apart, but with all the pb, water from the ice I used to shock the filter cover loose, acetone/atf mix, I think I may have to.:banghead:
should I?I got the bike for free, mostly there, sat for 20 years, just like my 71 xs, same owner. No title. Its in his brothers name, and they haven't talked in 20+- years. I may call the state patrol to see if its been reported stolen, if not, try to get a title.
Im trying to stay super cheap on this, so that if its taken away, Im not out that much.
Not worried about it though. If I had the title, Ide bore it out, and do all the little tricks, and restore it.

Yeah, those Honda centrifugal filters can be a bear to open up.
But they sure work well.

I understand the concern about flushing and dislodging crud from in there, getting into the engine, but that gunk doesn't dislodge that easily. It's more likely that it's clean because it has been serviced and the engine has been running clean.

... I wasn't planning on taking the cases apart,
... but, ... I think I may have to.:banghead:
... should I?

... try to get a title.
... If I had the title, ...

Most of what collects in those things is fine aluminum powder, which won't do much damage to the steel parts. Whatever, if any, damage can't be undone without a complete teardown. Checking the rocker pads and cam lobes would reveal lubrication/grit damage that could be expected down below. So, if they look fine, the bottom is probably fine.

You already know the responses you'd get about investing heavily in a 'no title' bike...

The no title bike is always a pig in a poke. I was hoping u in Particular would find this thread. U did run a shop around the time these need services.
I know I should Crack that egg, but it did shift gòod, just a bad clutch. Everything worked as it should. No death rattles, just needs the head rebiult.
How do u feel about a monkey ball and new rings? I'm getting the cylinder measured for roundness, no gouges, can't catch a nail on anything

The rocker pads look great, no pits on the adjusters. No hi heat color on the cam, and these engines are notorious for the cam digging into the head. Later years have the cam ride in needle bearings.this year, the cam relies on a cushion of oil The conversion costs too much at this point. The cam saddle looks to be in very good shape

... I was hoping u in Particular would find this thread. U did run a shop around the time these need services.

Oh, yeah, those things were new back then. I absolutely loved the XL250 and XL350. Rock solid bikes (at that time), mostly just did tuneups, and the occasional pranged lever. I've only done 2 top ends on the XL250, had the camcover off of only one XL350. Otherwise, they just kept running.

... I know I should Crack that egg, but it did shift gòod, just a bad clutch. Everything worked as it should. No death rattles, just needs the head rebiult.
How do u feel about a monkey ball and new rings? I'm getting the cylinder measured for roundness, no gouges, can't catch a nail on anything

It's possible to check rod and crank bearings by feel. Cracking it open is your call.
I still believe in shop policy, anytime a piston is pulled it gets at least fresh rings and a hone job.
How's the camchain?

... these engines are notorious for the cam digging into the head. Later years have the cam ride in needle bearings.this year, the cam relies on a cushion of oil The conversion costs too much at this point. The cam saddle looks to be in very good shape

Many of the Hondas are like that, cam riding in an aluminum pillow-block. The ones that showed up with cam grinding into the aluminum were the neglected/abused/overheated ones. The difficulty there was that those kinds of owners (abusers) were either arrogant hotheads (pun intended) or airheads (another pun). Difficult to work with, as their initial position was that it's the bike's fault, and we're responsible. The underground word-on-the-street was that if you pushed the issue hard enuff, you could get a free overhaul, and these guys played that game to the fullest. Ahhh, I miss those days...

With relatively low miles im assuming the cam chain is fine. No rust or dings in the side plates, no chew marks in the chain tunnel. Was very difficult to get the chain off the cam sprocket. Glad i didnt break the chai.

Most of the reports ive seen about the cam digging in was due to the cam chain being too tight. Needs guides though

No. This is a unit attached to the right side end of the crank. I've heard those sludge bolts are even worse.

Here's a pic of the XL250 oil pump and centrifugal cup.
(Part #9 and associated pieces)

Attachments

• XL250-OilPump.jpg
    XL250-OilPump.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 172
Oil pump works,so im not getting into it. The clutch basket would have to come off.
I "jiggled " the piston on the wrist pin. Very little movement. Same down low at the crank.
I know its not the best way to ..ahem....spec a bearing surface, but i feel good a bout it

The no title bike is always a pig in a poke. I was hoping u in Particular would find this thread. U did run a shop around the time these need services.
I know I should Crack that egg, but it did shift gòod, just a bad clutch. Everything worked as it should. No death rattles, just needs the head rebiult.
=====================================
Get it from Vermont,,
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

Attaboy...
(wiping brow) I thought ide get my ass kicked for that, but the crank rotates VERY smooth. I haven't heard back from woody yet. I gave the head to a guy at work to take to him. He is a young lad doing pro-am in the area that picked up a bike that needs head work, so just waiting on him I guess. I have to wait a few weeks for work bonus to pay for it anyway. no hurry.

Last summer when it ran, on occasion, the kicker would jam. Now that the covers are off, I found a chunk of tooth near the kicker gear. Can't see where it came from, oh, well. Glad it's just a dirt bike.

Back