Getting the ‘57 beetle back on the road in 2024

They're neutral but they're not going anywhere.

Did lots and lots of single strand on Korean War vintage T-33's when I used to work on them. There were areas that there was no way you'd be able to do twisted wire jobs (Leading Edge Fuel Boost Pumps...ugh!).

In the posted photo, is it just by chance the safety wire holes lined up, or were the bolts tightened until they lined up? I noticed as I work on this car, the absence of torque specs that you’d normally see when working on more “modern” vehicles.

6 to 8 twists per inch is about right.
Got a question about the wiring of bolts that I'm not sure anyone has answered before or I missed it.

What is the main reason for doing this? What I'm asking is the wires main function to keep bolts tight or to act as a visual indication one is backing out?

I recall many moons ago when I first started working on Cat equipment(and others) how many fasteners mostly in diesel engines had all kinds of sheet metal locks on internal fasteners. Then as time went on there were less and less of them used. Many of these engines were basically the same over the years so it was not simply a design change that made them unnecessary. Same with things like main and rod bearing caps, older engines often had cotter pins and castellated and little by little those were not used as much if at all. Same with the use of lock washers!

As a personal experiment around 35 years ago I did a ground up overhaul of my Farmall BN tractor that I use mainly for mowing over five acres of lawn and hauling fire wood. At that time I reassembled it using zero lock washers, originally just about every fastener had one. So far I have not found a bolt loose!!

Got a question about the wiring of bolts that I'm not sure anyone has answered before or I missed it.

What is the main reason for doing this? What I'm asking is the wires main function to keep bolts tight or to act as a visual indication one is backing out?

I recall many moons ago when I first started working on Cat equipment(and others) how many fasteners mostly in diesel engines had all kinds of sheet metal locks on internal fasteners. Then as time went on there were less and less of them used. Many of these engines were basically the same over the years so it was not simply a design change that made them unnecessary. Same with things like main and rod bearing caps, older engines often had cotter pins and castellated and little by little those were not used as much if at all. Same with the use of lock washers!

As a personal experiment around 35 years ago I did a ground up overhaul of my Farmall BN tractor that I use mainly for mowing over five acres of lawn and hauling fire wood. At that time I reassembled it using zero lock washers, originally just about every fastener had one. So far I have not found a bolt loose!!
What’s a zero lock washer?

In the posted photo, is it just by chance the safety wire holes lined up, or were the bolts tightened until they lined up? I noticed as I work on this car, the absence of torque specs that you’d normally see when working on more “modern” vehicles.
Set proper torque rather than alignment of safety wire holes.

What’s a zero lock washer?
one that doesn't exist?
No matter how tight and how many lock washers; the 3/4" bolts attaching the sickle mower to the H' draw bar loosen. The twisting forces from a 6' bar sticking out are brutal. I've taken to staking the end of the bolts with a cold chisel so at least the parts aren't laying out in the pasture somewhere.
Cost savings, both parts count, and labor why the locking hardware disappears. The Early XS650 sump filter bolts were safety wired. Some studies show that lock washers don't really. But when undoing ball hitch bolts I've had the lock washers furrow a pretty deep groove before giving up.

Attachments

• bobbies bike 015.jpg
    bobbies bike 015.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 13
one that doesn't exist?
No matter how tight and how many lock washers; the 3/4" bolts attaching the sickle mower to the H' draw bar loosen. The twisting forces from a 6' bar sticking out are brutal. I've taken to staking the end of the bolts with a cold chisel so at least the parts aren't laying out in the pasture somewhere.
Cost savings, both parts count, and labor why the locking hardware disappears. The Early XS650 sump filter bolts were safety wired. Some studies show that lock washers don't really. But when undoing ball hitch bolts I've had the lock washers furrow a pretty deep groove before giving up.
I agree - the curl of metal created from the lock washer of a trailer ball is huge and I have scars to prove it. The OEM lock washers might become brittle with time. I while ago I put one in the vise and gave it a twist with the adjustable and it snapped very easily. I suppose I can replace them with new ones (but will be very visible because of the plating). On the beetle, they also used lots of wavy lock washers and ones with integral serrations. I’ll post a pic later.

Agreed, I was wondering what Volkswagen did back in ‘57.

Germans as a nation have and have had .Attention to details specifications Work procedures.
Very unlikely close to impossible they have not tightened to a specification .
I would guess Pneumatic tool and calibrated. At the assembly line
No way they would prefer looks before functionality.
Especially when it comes to a safety item as brakes.

Reason using one loop wire can be not many places to anchor it

Germans as a nation have and have had .Attention to details specifications Work procedures.
Very unlikely close to impossible they have not tightened to a specification .
I would guess Pneumatic tool and calibrated. At the assembly line
No way they would prefer looks before functionality.
Especially when it comes to a safety item as brakes.

Reason using one loop wire can be not many places to anchor it
Interesting though that on both sides, the wire holes lined up perfectly. Lucky?

the wire holes lined up perfectly. Lucky?
Nope, holes are always "as torqued." That is... you torque 'em, then figure out how to safety. Where those wound up isn't ideal, but workable (obviously).
Ideally you want the safety wire pulling the fasteners tight.

1712263084311.png

1712263143498.png

Interesting though that on both sides, the wire holes lined up perfectly. Lucky?
Now that you mention it it does line up good on the picture
To good to be luck on both sides ???
Nut on the Other / In side ? so adjustment possible ???
Over tighten some after spec reached. ???

Back