Simple throttle housing.....which cable to use????

bsdoig

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched and come up with nothing! I've bought a simple style throttle housing for my bobber build (see link below) and the stock cable doesn't look like it's gonna be any where close to fitting properly. What is everyone using for throttle cables on these single pull housings? Or am I just missing something with the factory cable? Any input would be appreciated!

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...cable-aluminum-throttle-assembly-28-0033.html

I bought a universal cable off eBay but it's not quite right either. I have a old Barnett throttle assembly but where the cable connects looks almost identical. I'm still not sure how that piece on the housing is supposed to adjust the cable

Kent

You can have custom cables made, look at motion pro's site or make you own. There are web sites that splain it all, try searching.

I bought one of the same items from 650central and had to dremmel out the guts to let it retract all the way. Before I did this, it seemed like there wasen't enough cable while using the stock cable.

It still needs a little smoothing out inside, but it seems to work well.

Posted via Mobile

I bought a universal cable off eBay but it's not quite right either. I have a old Barnett throttle assembly but where the cable connects looks almost identical. I'm still not sure how that piece on the housing is supposed to adjust the cable

Kent

Yeah it just seems like there is nothing there to actually affix the throttle tube to the housing itself. On the stock unit the small "brace" which is held in by a single screw holds the throttle tube in place. I think the stock cable should work as long as I can get it secured to the housing. If that makes since.

Kent, do you have a picture of how your cable is held in?

I bought that universal cable and the cable inside the sleeve was too long, and the adjuster on the throttle housing didn't have anywhere near enough adjustment to take up the extra slack. I bought a universal cable knarp for the carb side, then got it marked close and trimmed off the excess. Used the adjuster then to make the final adjustment. Not perfect by any means, but you'd think there would be a better "universal kit". I can take some pics when I get home if you still want some.

Kent

I just looked at your Dime City model again. Couldn't you pull the entire throttle adjust out, slip in a stock cable, and use the stock cable retainer brace where that bolt is?

Kent

I bought that universal cable and the cable inside the sleeve was too long, and the adjuster on the throttle housing didn't have anywhere near enough adjustment to take up the extra slack. I bought a universal cable knarp for the carb side, then got it marked close and trimmed off the excess. Used the adjuster then to make the final adjustment. Not perfect by any means, but you'd think there would be a better "universal kit". I can take some pics when I get home if you still want some.

Kent

Yeah I'm just curious to see the throttle housing side.

Did this end up working out?????

Yes the stock cable retainer brace did work but it doesn't keep the stock cable really tight in the housing. Kinda just keeps it from falling out. Not a 100% happy with this setup, but it works until I can come up with a better solution.

Dime city sells a black one for cheap. If you cut the inside of the throttle tube a bit you should be able to trim your throttle cable's outer sheath a bit and get it to work. If all else fails order a custom length cable or make your own.

Back