JCWhitney mufflers?

pumps

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
My old mufflers had been beat on with a hammer judging by the dents on the ends of each one. After looking at them and trying to cut the reverse parts off the ends, the guts just came out of one. I started looking at mufflers. Money is a little tight for the bike project right now and after reviewing some options I see JCWhitney has some reverse megaphone ones . http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-plated-replacement-mufflers/p2006468.jcwx?skuId=142714
They look quite similar to the ones I have seen on a could of sites for more. Anyone try them?

i've got those on mine pumps louder than stock, rear mount up to pass. footpeg another option is sportster mufflers quieter but you have to extend the headers and shim pipe to muffler think stock pipes are 1 5/8 sporty pipes are 1 3/4 you can find extenion pipes at auto supply

I have a set of sporty mufflers that are pretty much punched out straight through but I'd rather put the long ones on. I think I'll give them a try then.

I had a set of those (or looked a lot like them) on my 850 Norton. I had to drill 2 small holes (1/16") with a 12" drill bit in each of the outlet holes to flow enough to get any speed out of it. I don't think it affected the sound much. Finnish was shiny and durable. Mounting channels did start cracking, but that could have been my fault.

I put them on my 77 before I sold it.........didn't like them at all.......and the channels did give out ..........

xsjohn

I had a set of those (or looked a lot like them) on my 850 Norton. I had to drill 2 small holes (1/16") with a 12" drill bit in each of the outlet holes to flow enough to get any speed out of it. I don't think it affected the sound much. Finnish was shiny and durable. Mounting channels did start cracking, but that could have been my fault.
the 27 inch Dunstall reps won't need any holes drilled can you can pack them with rock wool like dirt bikes use of course it blows out over timeso some people have tried steel wool (rusts out the pipe) stainless steel wool or copper might work, as far as the brackets breaking either run two straps from the front and back of the channel to your mount point or make a triangle like the old honda muflers had

Attachments

• S6300009.JPG
    S6300009.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 313
  • super-sport-450-k4-.JPG
    super-sport-450-k4-.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 255
Sliding track mounts on aftermarket mufflers suck big time, especially on our vibrating 650s. All that grabs onto them is the bolt head. Use one strap & bolt and it will break through in no time. Even 2 bolt heads will fail soon enough. You need to use what I like to call the "Goran Method" for mounting these (documented on his web site). This consists of a length of flat bar that will slip into the sliding track. Two holes are drilled and tapped into it so you can use short bolts to connect the muffler to the hanger. This spreads the load along the entire sliding track. MikesXS sells these now or you can fab up your own.

The sliding track on your Whitney mufflers probably won't line up correctly with the stock '77 muffler hanger bracket. The front hole will be too far forward and miss the track. If you can, find a pair of XS500 hangers. The holes are farther back .....

XS500PipeHanger.jpg

5twins,

I inserted washers with two flats that I filed into the track along with the bolts . That provided the extra contact needed so the bolt heads would not pull through.

I salvaged the stock hanger brackets as well to make a perfect fit.
shaker2.jpg

That's for the 27" EMGO Dunstal replicas.
Used an adapter to connect the muffler to the inner pipe on my stock double walled headers.

adapter.jpg

This looks like it is clamped to the outer header pipe, but actually it is clamped to the large end of the adapter butted up to the header.
muffler2.jpg

People always make the mistake of clamping an after market 1 1/2" muffler to the outer pipe of a double walled header. The outer pipe has holes in it and the weld at the flange leaks. They were never intended to hold any pressure.

leftside.jpg

Last edited:
5twins- you are referring to these that mike has?
07-0116.jpg

Wonder if I couldn't make something like that? But for $5 a piece would my effort be worth it?
I'm unclear here just a little. The flat bar is inserted into the track with two bolts clamping the bar to the track and the hanger bracket under one of those bolts? Or a bolt into another tapped hole in the bar? My hanger as it stood previously.
IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, those are the mounting bars from Mike's. Ideally, the hole spacing should match the holes in the hanger bracket. I'm not sure about the spacing on the part from Mike. I made my own with holes matched to my hanger.

Put the bar in the sliding track and bolt the hanger bracket to it. If the track is too far back to catch both hanger holes, slide the bar part way into the track and still use 2 bolts through the hanger bracket. You'll still be clamping a few inches of track between the bar and hanger, much better than just a bolt head or two.

Pete, adding the washers is an improvement but a continuous bar is better still.

Finally got a couple pics of my bar mount in the sliding track. As you can see, even using an XS500 hanger bracket, the forward hole still just misses the track. It still works very well, though, clamping to the sliding track for pretty much the entire length of the hanger bracket .....

SlideTrack.jpg

SlideTrack2.jpg

These are Mike's Commando mufflers which, according to him, have an improved mount to match up to the 650 better. The only improvement I see is an extra piece of plate welded to the muffler and then the sliding track attached to that. I've never seen the track break off on this type mount, only the bolt heads pull through the track. I think a better improvement would be to beef up the track part and also move it forward an inch or two so it mates to the stock hanger bracket better.

OK....I've been trying to locate and source that adapter "548520" and can't locate it anywhere?? JC Whitney or elsewhere? Which seems strange? Anybody got the sourcing
ordering info needed? Pete, Pumps, Jayel, 5twins? I seem to be snake bit on this one. Blue

Most any parts store will have the adapter. They have them on a shelf with the muffler clamps and a selection of exhaust tubing. Very handy when working on exhaust.

They may have a different number. The important thing is the size, The big end need to fit snuggly into your muffler. The small end needs to fit snuggly on the inner headpipe.
If your not sure of the sizes, take a headpipe and muffler with you. Try test fitting until you find one that fits.
This may get you a few strange looks, but works. Most of the folks at Lowes are getting used to see me haul stuff in for test fitting.

Thanks Leo, Pumps (for the PM) for straightening me out.....because of the pictures together, I guess; I had assumed that the adapter was supplied from JC Whitney along with the mufflers. Thanks Pete & Jayel as well.....I am one of those guys :banghead: who has tried less than successfully to clamp new mufflers to the external surface of the double tubed OEM headpipes more than once.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MRW0/548520.oap?showStores=true

Like Duh....This store is 6 blocks from my house! Thanks All

Last edited:
bluebikerblan,

Sorry I got here late this morning! I got the adapters at PepBoys, but I have seen the identical part and part number at other auto supply stores as well.

The adapter fits very tightly to the inner pipe and the joint will fill in with carbon in a short while of usage, but you can also use Permatex muffler sealer stuff to really seal it. I just let nature takes its course and there is no evidence of a leak or noise.

Hey Pumps,

About your JCW mufflers -- I bought a set for my BMW R90/6 a couple years ago. Couldn't complain about the price. I suspect they're Emgos. One thing I noticed pretty quickly was that the chrome is pretty thin. About a 3/8" piece flecked off the end of one muffler after just a few weeks, and after a few months of humid Houston weather, the first specs of rust began to appear. I take 0000 steel wool and use PB Blaster as a lubricant, and work over the pipes at least once every six months or so to keep the rust gremlins at bay. But even so, there are some larger patches that have formed, and which will require some more aggressive attention.

Back