Oil Leak Verification Please

stacks99

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 75 xs650 thats been slowly leaking oil out the left side. So I finally got some time to take the left side cover off and take a look at it. It appears to be coming from the clutch pushrod seal, but I could not find this part anywhere in my manuel so I just wanted to confirm with you guys that the seal is what I think it is before ordering the part. I attached a few pictures to help, The 1st picture is the general left side uncovered, the 2nd zooms in on where the oil is coming from and the 3rd is another pic of oil slowly leaking from where the shifting lever enters. Thanks for the help, always appreciated.

Attachments

• 2012-06-27_14-34-41_703.jpg
    2012-06-27_14-34-41_703.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 2012-06-27_14-34-49_771.jpg
    2012-06-27_14-34-49_771.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 231
  • 2012-06-27_14-34-56_646.jpg
    2012-06-27_14-34-56_646.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 243
You've cleaned it up with a rag which makes it hard to tell where it's from. There are two places that do leak there. The push rod seal and the countershaft, the latter if the sprocket nut isn't torqued to about 80 foot-pounds. The pushrod seal is available from Mike's and it's designed to go in without splitting the cases. I don't know if you can do that with the OE one. If you replace the seal for the first time consider replacing the bushing behind it too, both easy jobs. Try simply tightening the sprocket nut first though, a couple drops of blue locktite in addition to the lock tab. From the color of the push rod seal it looks like it's already been replaced before.

order 2-3 pushrod seals at a time, you are going to ruin the first one on the first try.

Thanks, so the first pic is then the pushrod seal im gathering. Also, my sprocket nut was not the tightest so i did retorque that but i could see oil coming from the pushrod seal. Its also dripping by the entrance from the shift lever but could not tell if there is an oil seal there or not due to the chain guide being in the way

Yeah what they have said shift shaft seal is a lot less common. I have not done the measuring but the bushing even when new is not a snug fit by any means. So even though it feels sloppy it may be just fine.... I generally use a deep 3/8 drive socket as a drift. I put the push rod in and face the flat end of the socket towards the seal. try to keep everything square to the case, lube the seal and hole with some grease before driving it in. slow and steady wins this race, remove the socket and check the seal is going in square about every other tap. Don't pound it in too far. I always polish the shaft it has a ridge worn in it from dirt and the seal acting as a grinder. chuck the shaft in a drill (drill press is nice if you have one) and use rubbing compound on a rag as a polish. Or use a buffing wheel if you have that.
MikesXs has pictures and a description of the seal procedure.

Here's some seal replacement tips. Use them, they really work .....

http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSseals.html

One more I'll add. Buff the area of the shaft where the new seal will rub with a Scotchbrite pad. This smooths it over and gives the new seal a fresh surface to act upon. I've had a near 100% success rate installing new seals since implementing this last tip.

So I know this thread is old, but I finally had time to change out the pushrod seal. My question/comment is when I removed the old seal, there was no bushing behind it. I went to "Yamaha speed and sport" (bloomsburg PA) one of the biggest vintage yamaha parts dealers and talked to their mechanic about this bushing that should be behind the seal. The mechanic said there shouldn't be one there and showed me the parts diagram and there is no yamaha part # for this bushing. So my question, is this only an aftermarket part?
Also, when i replaced my seal, the first time I used the bushing like I was advised on here and tested the seal and it leaked worse than my old seal, so i pulled that one out put in a new seal without the bushing and so far no leak?? Just curious on the thoughts of those more experienced? Thanks

Welcome to the clubs, both forum and 'clutch pushrod seal failure'.
Do you have the shorter 2-piece pushrods, or the longer 1-piece?
The 2-piece units are simultaneously troublesome and tolerant of clutch screw misalignment.
The 1-piece is better, unless slightly bent or clutch screw is misaligned.
The best combo is: polished 1-piece, new bushing, new seal, undamaged clutch screw.

That bushing wasn't a standard replacement item, sharp xs650 enthusiasts discovered it, came up with a very helpful procedure. Expect to find many more non-factory tips like that, especially on this forum (shameless plug here).

Here is a likely scenario, the bushing/seal work you first did may have had problems, like many of us have experienced. The second install you did (seal, no bushing) may have the seal installed right, but you run the risk of it failing soon. Unknowingly, your seal replacement method improved. Now you know why most folks order more than 1.

If it's not leaking, run it like that. Who knows, it may last years. If not, you'll have the knowledge the rest of us got thru hard knocks...

Thank You TwoMany, I do have the 1-piece pushrod, as it is a 75xs650B. I will have to check the clutch screw and make sure it checks out OK. I am taking it for a nice long ride today so I will report back any oil leakage. Hopefully I'll get lucky on this as nothing else has seamed to gone smooth, Stacks

stacks that bushing was installed as an integral part of the case. If you buy new cases it is installed already. That is the reason it doesn't show on the parts fich.
But it is there and it is a wear item. I don't care how big a parts dealer or how many someone has run through their shop. To say it isn't there or that it doesn't need to be replaced is well.....less than good advice.
This is an original before surgery. Notice the lack of a seam and the brass lining.
Something I can't seem to duplicate in a replacement item : (

full

Back