wiring mikesxs new stator

oldschoolxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas, My name is Josh. I have been into the xs650 scene since 2006 or so. I have built a hardtail chop and also a modified stock swingarm style (bratstyle) 650. The stator went out on my 79xs650. It has a regulator/rectifier combo. I bought the mikesxs new stator and it has a green and a red wire coming from the brushes.

I grounded the red wire and the green went to the orange on my reg/rec. My bike is not charging though. Took it out today after trickle charging the battery and it ran great for about 3 miles and then I noticed the headlight and brake lights were getting dimmer and dimmer. The mikesxs stator did not come with instructions. . . i thought it was a plug and go application like it says on the website, BUT the colors of the wires do not match the stock stator I yanked off the bike. I have been waiting for 2 days for mikesxs to answer my question about wiring it up to the reg/rec combo.

I rechecked all connections and they look good. What am I missing? I had to replace the reg/rec about a month ago as it took a shit as well. Ran great for the past month. Thanks for any insight. I am no wiring guru by any stretch.

thanks for the help!
Josh

Josh, I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly and I could be wrong. Shouldn't you run the red from the stator to the brown on your reg/rec and green on your stator to the green on your reg/rec? I'm using this wiring diagram to match up the colors.
xs650allyears.jpg

i see it now.... but dont have a brown on my reg/rec. i have an orange an orange and green that go to the brushes. i dont wanna wire it wrong in case it kills the reg/rec. mikesxs is supposed to get back to me today and i have a friend comin over sat. to look at it. hoping to be back on the road soon. just finished and painted the damn thing!

been painting so i havent had a chance to look at it. got a friend coming over tomorrow who knows a lottle more about electrical. mikesxs tech is no help. says hes stumped. i told them i bought the reg/rwc combo amd the stator from them at leat they could let customers know what wires from the new stator correspond to the old stock stator!

On Mike's stator for the 70-79 bikes the green wire hooks to the green from the reg and the red wire is hooked to ground. That's using the stock reg.
If your combo reg/rec is designed as a straight up swap for a 79 then you ground the red wire.
Are you using Mike's # 24-2089 reg/rec?
If so then this might help. it's worked for others.
Reg/rec--------------bike
3 yellow-------------3 white
Red------------------red
Green----------------black
orange---------------green
blue------------------brown
Ground the case.
Now on your set up you have a green and red from the stator. So in this case hook the red brush wire to ground. Hook the green wire to orange of the reg/rec.
That should get it to charge unless the rotor is bad.
Leo

yes Leo, that is the reg/rec I am using and yes my stator has green and red coming from brushes. I have the green going to orange on reg. and red grounding on frame.

I have a wire from my ignition switch (toggle) going to blue on reg.

Still not charging. Checked it out yesterday wired up like this. DO I NEED TO UNGROUND THE SCREWS ON MY NEW STATOR? Old one I pulled out had nylon screws so that would make sense???

Also, when we checked 2 weeks ago the rotor checked out good and the old stator was weak so I assumed the stator went bad when this all happened. I guess I should check the ROTOR again to make sure it is not the culprit.

THANKS!
Josh

That stator is set up as a stock stator. The reg/rec is supposed to be a direct replacement for the stock reg and rec. So you shouldn't need to unground the brushes from the stator housing with the nylon screws.
You can try it, seeing as how you have them in the old stator. It shouldn't make a difference.
One thing you can try is unhook the green wire from the stator to the reg/rec and with the engine running, meter on the battery hook a jumper from battery positive to the green wire to the brush. Watch your meter. The voltage should start to climb, you may need to rev the engine to about 2500 rpms to get much charge. Don't let it charge over 15 volts.
If it starts to rise then the rotor and stator are ok. If they check out this way then the reg part of your reg/rec isn't working.
If so then you can try a bit of creative wiring. This may or may not work. I do want you to know I have had no personal experience with any of Mike's reg/rec's or his stators. What I suggest is from helping others with theirs.
Use the nylon screws, hook the red brush wire to battery positive with a jumper. Hook the green brush wire back to the reg/rec as you had it.
Now try running the bike and test battery voltage at idle and 2500-300- rpms. It may charge ok wired this way.
Try this only if you are sure the reg/rec is not working. It may or may not hurt your reg/rec if it is ok.
What I might also suggest is to try the Chrysler reg and Radio Shack rec mods. I use them and it works great. The reg I used I got from Advanced Auto for $13. the Radio Shack parts for less than $7. A bit of soldering, a 2x3 or 3x4 inch scrap piece of aluminum plate and a few minutes with a drill for mounting holes.
Ohm testing all your parts, new and old is a good idea. The stator should get a low ohms reading from about .5 to .9 ohms or thereabouts on the three white wires. The important thing is they are the same. From the wires to the body should be infinity
On the rotor 5 ohms is great but 4-from ring to ring will work, with infinity from the rings to the body of the rotor.
Leo

Back