Machi & Pablo's XS-B Bobber Project

Machi

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My son and I started a softtail bobber project a couple of months ago, with a 75-B parts bike I acquired some years ago. Pics are found in the album http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1429/
We have modified the frame - VisualImpact Brat kit, grinding off excess metal, etc. Got a La Rosa seat and and axed tank. Been learning how to polish and weld.
Pablo is a jeweler and is taking to 'large' metalwork like a pro. Check out the lane splitter handlebars made by cutting and rewelding stock 80s XS rototiller bars.
We still have a long way to go. . . .

Been over a year but we keep hacking at it!

Lots of parts purchased: Axed tank from LowBrow, Hughs PAM kit, forward controls, capacitor, 'oil tank' and engine stand from TCBros, everything for a top end rebuild + new cam chain, guide and tensioner, front fork seals and caps, swing arm bushings, starter block off, etc., from Mike's.

This last week been cleaning and polishing heads and covers. Lapped the valves and reinstalled them today. Very clean inside this 40 year engine that's been sitting for at least 15 years. Should have the engine back together in a week or two, then will assemble and get it running before taking it all apart again and send frame etc for powder coating and painting.

We've done a lot of mods and deletes to the frame. Will modify the shifter and break pedals to accommodate the forward controls - would love to see a thread about that.

We are planning to run it with no battery or starter. Found a great wiring diagram here (post #5).

Still need carbs and am leaning towards the EX500 Kawasakis. Lots of them on ebay at decent prices.

Still to find - rear fender, head & taillights, throttle, front brake and clutch levers, front sprocket. Also need a coil that will run efficiently on this stripped down electric system . . .

Watch for pics in the album (post #1).

I'll be relying on the gurus here, you all are a great resource. . . . .

Last edited:
Nice work, you should post the pics in the thread, it makes for better Reading. You have already uploaded the pic to the album so most of the job is done... all you need to do is copy paste the address in to you post.
Nice link on the wireing. I like post 5.
Cheers
Lester

Here's the pics of the mock up -
full

You're right, Lester - post #5 is the wiring diagram we'll be using.
What do you think about the EX500 carbs?

Cheers Machi,

now look at that picture... looks great in the thread!... lol
EX 500 carbs... I really don't k now much about them to be honest.... why not get the Koonies they are supposed to have? It will prob run like its supposed to from the start and if it needs tuneing of some sort... this site will be of great help to you.

Lester

It took a few tries to get that pic into the thread.
I would love to use the old BS38s that came with this basket case, but they are shot - screws and brackets missing, one main jet stripped and locked in place. If I could pick up some used ones maybe I could complete a set. 650 Central sells VM34s - http://www.650central.com/carb.htm#Mikuni_Carbs

Last edited:
I talked to a forum member tonight who rebuilds late model BS38s (76-79, which are linked) and I am thinking of taking him up on a deal for a rebuilt pair.
I also talked to Mike at 650 Central about the VM34s. They sound great but I am not building a racer, more of a bar hopper.

Engine topend rebuild is done, and we have put it back in a rattle-canned frame. Getting the PMA installed and tracking down parts to mount those progressive shocks.
The last 3 weekends were intense, but now we will be traveling and slacking off. Lots left to do. Carbs got damaged in transit (rebuilt BS38s) so they are returned and getting fixed.
Need to put shoes and bearings in the rear wheel. Still need new coils and some switches. Haven't found a rear fender or head or tail light.
Etcetera.
Poco a poco.
full

I think your rattle-can work looks better, Lester!
BTW - my daughter lives in Trondheim - I've never been to Norway but have plans . . .

lol... mine is not even rattle can its brushed on... looks OK from 10feet away.
Your Daughter is in Trondheim??? WOW that's cool, so she is studying at the university I'm guessing? I live on the east coast and a bit more south. Norway is real nice but very expensive....beware!

Cheers
Lester

I plan to run this bike with no starter or battery, and just headlight, taillight, brake light. I will need a main switch (maybe down by the choke) and a headlight switch I have the old ('75) coils and would like to upgrade them. What do you recommend for coils and switches?

While waiting on the carbs, controls and remaining electrical parts, we set up the shocks, rear wheel and brakes, and mounted forward controls.

full

full

Need to chop and drill the stock brake pedal and shifter, which leaves almost no room for an exhaust extension:

full

The shocks are 11" progressives of a HD, with spacers to make them fit. The VisualImpact brat kit has slightly uneven drilling for the shock mounts - Am I gonna go down the road lopsided?

full

Got the PMA installed (WITH woodruff key, though it is probably not needed)

full

Then mounted the new sprockets

full

And muscled on the rebuilt carbs (rebuilt BS38s from a 78-79)

full

Setting up the electric components. Mounted the coils on a temporary (?) bracket, and rectifier, capacitor and switch on a plate behind the carbs. Scratching my head too much as I figure out this 'simplified' wiring.

full

Assembling the rectifier, capacitor and switch combo (bolted to plate that mounts horizontally behind the carbs, with the rectifier underneath). Mainline (with fuse) and Headlight Taillight are coming off the 'ACC' connector from the switch.
full

Back