Machi & Pablo's XS-B Bobber Project

OK - I spent an hour or more going over threads on mastercylinders and bleeding brakes - gonna have a go at it this weekend.

Bleeding is a bitch - but I now have a solid front brake. What I learned about bleeding (when starting from a bone dry, rebuilt system):

Bench fill the brake line, holding it in a U, fill one end until it comes out the other.

Use teflon tape on the caliper connection of the brake hose and the bleeder valve.

Pre-fill the caliper.

Connect the brake hose to the caliper and a clear hose to the bleeder, fill bleeder hose and blow it back thru the system.

Do the thumb trick - hold your thumb over the banjo bolt exit of the filled master cylinder and pump until you get squirt. Immediately connect the brake line.

Pump and bleed for a few cycles until the pressure is maxed.

Man its nice to see another running xs in new mexico. We'll have to get in touch one of these days, I would love to see your bike in person. Keep wrenching maybe we'll go for a ride before the weather gets cold. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Hey, Skid - nice to hear from you. We have 4 of these beasts, and now they are all running. Let me know if you want to come see em. Meet up at Molly's someday.

Great to meet the XSKid, who took the time to come by and look at my build yesterday. First time I've ever met another XS650.com member in person! We'll go riding together soon.

Last edited:
I got all the eeletrical I need now - with a headlight and tail light, complete with working brake light. Doesn't seem to bother the PMA-Capacitor system at all. This thread help with the head scratching - http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26000

Also installed some exhaust extensions, with a little coercing. Read the tale - http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=374634

full

I've been riding this regularly, still some minor issues. Left to buy - a shorty rear fender. Left to design - color scheme. Suggestions welcome.

full

full

full

full

full

Get your mother in laws wedding dress and do some lace work!!! :thumbsup:

Really like your electronics plate what capacitor is that and how's it holding up?

Lace work! We actually have a 'jacket' hand made for the tank out of linked beer bottle caps. Kinda like a chain mail shirt for a brewer:

full

(This pic from last year's mock up)

Then what do you mean by color scheme?
What's the bike look like now?
I will paint your tank for free lol, as long as it doesn't rain in Norfolk (extraordinary)

@Fings - Maroon metalflake? Fenders too? I'll be in Maryland at Christmas, could lug it all out to you and your rattle can.
I have had no problems starting it - usually first kick. BUT - can't have that tail light going on when I turn on the points and coils, it will sap the capacitor if I'm not fast enough. Capicitor (and LED taillight) are from TC Bros.
I need to change out my 2-way main switch for a 3-way: Off / Points-Coils / Points-Coils-Accessories (head and tail light only).

Love the build. The beer caps are awesome. I wonder if they could be hammered perfectly flat and encased in clear coat like one of those 3D lace paint patterns. That would be a wild look.

Thanks, Occam
Pablo made the chain mail vest. He's made tables and pictures also, which he coats with polyurethane. Problem with the tank is how to apply that to a curved surface.
I tried riding with this on, it rattles away and does a good job sanding down the primer coat!

Today I changed the oil in the bobber. Don't have a speedo but the newly rebuilt top end has about 3 or 4 hrs on it, probably less that 150 miles. Here's what the plugs and filters looked like. LOTS of tiny metal (all magnetic) on the filter.

full

well nobody posted a comment on the crap I cleaned out with the first oil change, but the opinion of the bike is in and it is "muy feliz!"
She's been zipping around like a frisky pup. And I now have a bit more confidence in the engine and the overall assembly - so I have been kickin it a bit with amazing results. This bike is fast!
I made sure to use 20-50 motorcycle oil (instead of the 10-40 I used for the first fill) and you can feel the difference - sounds smoother and shifts surer. The clutch is still not quite where I would like it and I may replace the actuator with an older one with a longer arm, if I can unfreeze the lock nut.
And I ordered a shorty rear fender from 7MetalWest - they actually responded by email to say it would take 4 to 5 weeks. Going to start looking at new tires soon.

My favorite tires hands down are Pirellis, have bought several and they last a good bit depending on what you do with them

just FYI, I found something similar when I emptied the oil from my bike too. Here is what mine looked like. A friend said it is most likely the cam chain tensioner guide being eaten. Grrrrrrrrr!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 183
Back