Couple questions. Help please Della's

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
1. For the life of me I cannot undo the clutch pushrod nut/screw. Any tips? Like its seized. Can't adjust the clutch cable without doing this :-(

2. Magura throttle. Anyone got one? I put on brand new cable and magura throttle and its got cruise control. Even when the cable is NOT routed through the bike. Turning the magura on its own without the cable it feels ok but I can hear it like metal on metal but nothing is actually grinding. Any ideas?

3. Pushrod seal. Replacement part number or something I can get locally here in Aus. Would prefer to buy it here cause I am patient lol. Any other tips to 'fix' it? Ie oil/heat resistant tape on the pushrod or some other backyard awesome trick?

Posted via Mobile

You might have to take the rachet out and hold it in a vice to break that locknut loose.
People seem to think that and the sump drain plug need extra tightening.
In my mind it isn't that much more to swap the bushing out while replacing the seal.
And there isn't any need to buy 2 cause you ruin the first(although some will testify that is gonna happen).
Chamfer the hole so the little rib on the seal doesn't get cut off and use a dab of 3-bond to help lube it on the way in and hold once there.

Thanks!
Pulled it all apart just now and got the lock but undone like you said. Feel dumb as that's kinda basic haha. Also realized my worm gear was bent so I fixed that too. And fixed the two balls in engine and none in worm gear. Lol.
Clutch feels exactly the same FYI.

Didn't pull the seal yet as I don't have another one.

Anyone got a comment on the Magura throttle?

Cheers,
Peter

Posted via Mobile

On the throttle, lube.
Lube on the clutch cable and the worm mechanism will help the lever pull. Just remember that this bike is an older one. The clutch pull on most new bikes is so much easier to pull that most don't feel like they are hooked to anything.
Leo

5twins convinced me engine oil is the best for cables but if the cable is stiff it might not come back. I just spent an hour over two days on a stiff cable oiling and dragging it in and out by clamping the end in a vice and pulling it before I coiled it up, wrapped it with electrical tape and shit canned it. Cable looked fine, no rust or kinks visible but there must be a rusted section inside somewhere.
Did you see my seal and ramp how to thread posted up today?

Hi,

Yeah my cable is fine. It looks like its the throttle. Hence why I asked about magura throttle experiences up there.
Can't see the thread you mention. If its the how to replace the pushrod seal then yep I've read it. Ordered a few seals and bushing from miles and waiting on delivery.
Ill oil up my cables again but ill also re-route and might sand down the handlebars. Ill test things first.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted via Mobile

Are you saying the throttle tube is too tight on the bars? If so, maybe you have an assembly made for 22mm bars. This is a common bar size in Europe (comes on BMWs, Moto Guzzis, or used to anyway) and is slightly smaller than the 7/8" bar used on most other bikes.

Hi mate,

I think it's the 7/8" size however when tightened might be binding. It's a brand new magura throttle from mikesxs and keystone 7/8" bars from lowbrow.
When I lid the throttle onto bars it left a little 'scratch' all the way along the bar under the throttle.

Plan tonight is to simply undo the cable at the carb end. Test the throttle without undo-ing it. That might tell me wether its the throttle itself or something else.

I'm going to
- Test throttle on bars without cable
- Lube cable more. Oil. Heaps
- lay cable loose over bike and test. (Not routed)
- Reroute again and test

After that I'm out of ideas. :doh:

So wondered if anyone had a magura throttle what they did.
Turning the throttle with NO cable attached OFF the bars it's super!

Posted via Mobile

Ok updates

1. For the life of me I cannot undo the clutch pushrod nut/screw. Any tips? Like its seized. Can't adjust the clutch cable without doing this :-(

Yep sorted. Did the vice trick. Thanks. Also ordered all new parts for this so will see how we go.

2. Magura throttle. Anyone got one? I put on brand new cable and magura throttle and its got cruise control. Even when the cable is NOT routed through the bike. Turning the magura on its own without the cable it feels ok but I can hear it like metal on metal but nothing is actually grinding. Any ideas?

Argh!!! Can't sort this out. Throttle sleeve is perfect. Cable is oiled and perfect. Routed nicely and I can pull with my hand. Wheel all connected the throttle won't close on its own. The throttle spring on the carb is excellent.
So I added a second spring to close the carbs. Well, it closes but now twisting the throttle is much harder. :wtf: can't win here.

3. Pushrod seal. Replacement part number or something I can get locally here in Aus. Would prefer to buy it here cause I am patient lol. Any other tips to 'fix' it? Ie oil/heat resistant tape on the pushrod or some other backyard awesome trick?

Ordered these from mikes and according to USPS should be here today.

Posted via Mobile

Don't know what to tell you about the Magura throttle. Magura is usually very good and high quality stuff. As far as the clutch pushrod adjuster screw and nut goes, anti-seize the heck out of it. Those parts are just plain steel and will seize up again if you don't. Also, the lock nut on the adjuster screw doesn't need to be super tight, just a bit past snug.

Yeah that's the reason I bought them. It's awesome. It just won't play nicely together :-(
If I have a spring that makes it return (no cruise control haha) then it's pretty tight to twist while riding. If I don't put the spring then it has cruise control. I dun really like that. But maybe I will get used to it.

Another thing pissing me off is that the clutch cable (new) doesn't fit into the magura clutch lever adjustment bolt :-( the OD of the ferrule is too big or actually the ID of the adjustment bolt is too small. The cable fits in my original clutch lever. Just not the magura. The bolts are different thread and pitch so can't just swap them.
Either need a different bolt to fit magura or a smaller ferrule :-(

Posted via Mobile

Yeah that's the reason I bought them. It's awesome. It just won't play nicely together :-(
If I have a spring that makes it return (no cruise control haha) then it's pretty tight to twist while riding. If I don't put the spring then it has cruise control. I dun really like that. But maybe I will get used to it.

Another thing pissing me off is that the clutch cable (new) doesn't fit into the magura clutch lever adjustment bolt :-( the OD of the ferrule is too big or actually the ID of the adjustment bolt is too small. The cable fits in my original clutch lever. Just not the magura. The bolts are different thread and pitch so can't just swap them.
Either need a different bolt to fit magura or a smaller ferrule :-(

Posted via Mobile

Fit the cable in the Magura sleeve without the housing check to see that it lays down and isn't too big for the slot, look inside the housing for bind marks where the cable might be chafing?

Clutch cable,
Or drill the ferrule hole in the lever bigger?

Fit the cable in the Magura sleeve without the housing check to see that it lays down and isn't too big for the slot, look inside the housing for bind marks where the cable might be chafing?

Clutch cable,
Or drill the ferrule hole in the lever bigger?

Cant do that (that was the plan - the OD of the ferrule and the OD of the adjuster are the same, so I would have to drill it too much and have no 'meat' for it to sit inside... ill take pics later to explain.

Ill have a look at the throttle too, dont think I can do the above unless I mis-understood you... dont think the magura throttle can be seperated.
It works fine in all conditions except all together. ie/ Cable is fine, throttle is fine - all on their own... there is a 'peep hole' that I see in the throttle housing that is for cruise control (I think) and when I turn the throttle I see the cable (it winds up into the housing then around it) the throttle simply wont snap back closed.
2 springs make it heavy, 1 spring it wont close...

I may need to find a balance in the springs? ie, find a spring that is weaker than I have now... plus the stock carb spring? dunno spring dynanomaticalics (yes I made up that word)
hmmmm :banghead:

You don't have the throttle pushed too far on causing the end of the bars to bottom out on the tube?

weekendrider - yeah, already tried that one too.
Here's the deal.
-Throttle on bars no cable attached. Smooth as a baby's bum - Perfect
-Cable being pull by hand (STILL routed) perfect
-Hook cable onto throttle and twist, stays open
-Put in 2nd spring on carbs - throttle closes on its own - great, now its hard to pull (twist)

See my dilemma?

Pete

Uh, item 2... I've had a couple of throttle housings where the housing center was offset from the handlebar center, like a mis-machined hole or casting core-shift. The throttle tube fit fine on the bar, and it rotated fine in the housing, but all 3 together would bind. Had to file...

pristc, The cruise control screw have you backed it all the way out?
From the Pingle site.
Magura Model 307
Throttle for single cable, straight pull linkage, easy cable attachment with trap door cover, polished alloy housing, adjusting screw for twist regulation, rubber cable protection cover, black grip included.

On the cable ferrule fit to the adjuster issue - seen that numerous times. Emergency situations called for removing the ferrule (twist-off, dremel, ...etc), then fitting the bare cable outer to the adjuster.

Back