smaller starter solenoid and safety relay questions

sbaugz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I am simplifying my electrical and want to put a new starter solenoid in my 1981 special build. The stock one doesn't work. There are a million starter solenoids out there on ebay and the web and I am having a difficult time trying to fine one that is suited for the job. Can someone take a look at this link and tell me if this would work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CRB600-600-Starter-Solenoid-Relay-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-1996-1997-1998-/181094324517?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2a101925&vxp=mtr

or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-Solenoid-Relay-for-Yamaha-XJ550-XJ650-XJ750-XJ900-Motorcycle-/251276565121?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a81401a81&vxp=mtr

Also, when I rewire everything, I was planning on getting rid of the safety cutoff relay for the starter. Part of me thinks I should probably keep it but its big and bulky and I don't need the other half of it, which I believe is some sort of light relay or something. Is there a smaller starter cutoff relay I can use? If not, how would I wire up the stock starter cutoff relay to a simplified custom built wiring harness? I plan on using bare minimum.

On my last build i used a 50a solenoid that was tall and skinny. I didn't use any of that safety relay crap. Simply turn the key on and hit the starter button. I could crank the bike with the key off but without it turned on the bike would never start. On my current build i'm gonna use the same solenoid but no key and just set up a "secret" trick start.

Both of those look fine.

System only has a 14 amp battery so just about any solenoid would do.

Liking the first one with fuses.

At that price order two and have a spare handy.

So I am simplifying my electrical and want to put a new starter solenoid in my 1981 special build. The stock one doesn't work. There are a million starter solenoids out there on ebay and the web and I am having a difficult time trying to fine one that is suited for the job. Can someone take a look at this link and tell me if this would work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CRB600-600-Starter-Solenoid-Relay-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-1996-1997-1998-/181094324517?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2a101925&vxp=mtr

or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-Solenoid-Relay-for-Yamaha-XJ550-XJ650-XJ750-XJ900-Motorcycle-/251276565121?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a81401a81&vxp=mtr

Also, when I rewire everything, I was planning on getting rid of the safety cutoff relay for the starter. Part of me thinks I should probably keep it but its big and bulky and I don't need the other half of it, which I believe is some sort of light relay or something. Is there a smaller starter cutoff relay I can use? If not, how would I wire up the stock starter cutoff relay to a simplified custom built wiring harness? I plan on using bare minimum.

Great find on the solenoid and the price even better. I'm also in the process of rewiring, I like to updated all the old relays so I'm curious on what would others suggest on using for the safety relay, flasher for LEDs headlights and so forth.

You can do away with the safety relay if you want, it was put there to protact the gears between the starter and crank.
It shuts off power to the starter relay as the engine starts, so as not to over run and damage the gears.
If you don't like one that big you can use a headlight relay. most are rated well above the reguirments of the saferty relay. You need one thast has 5 terminals not just four.
hook the yellow wire from the stator to terminal 85, hook 86 to ground. The two red/white wires get hooked to the 30 and 87 terminals. Now when you start the bike and the stator starts producing power the power on the yellow wire trips the relay, this cuts power to tghe starter relay.
Just as the safety relay does.
Either of those starter relays will work fine.
Leo

Yes, that one has 5 terminals. It can turn a circuit on and one off. The 4 terminal relays only turn a circuit on.
The last time i was at the auto salvage yard I picked up a hand full of those relays. Most cars have several under the hood. They yse them to control the A/C, fuel pmups, A lot of things. Some even use a smaller relay. An Omron 21911C, it is the same height and width but only about half as thick. The terminals are narrower but they are nymbered the same. I can't find a single socket for them but you can just solder wires to the terminals.
I think I paid like $5 for half a dozen of the relays and some battery cables.
Leo

You can do away with the safety relay if you want, it was put there to protact the gears between the starter and crank.
It shuts off power to the starter relay as the engine starts, so as not to over run and damage the gears.
If you don't like one that big you can use a headlight relay. most are rated well above the reguirments of the saferty relay. You need one thast has 5 terminals not just four.
hook the yellow wire from the stator to terminal 85, hook 86 to ground. The two red/white wires get hooked to the 30 and 87 terminals. Now when you start the bike and the stator starts producing power the power on the yellow wire trips the relay, this cuts power to tghe starter relay.
Just as the safety relay does.
Either of those starter relays will work fine.
Leo

I know its at least a month old thread, but I hope someone could confirm Leo's direction on how to connect a 5 terminal light relay to act as a safety switch, 85 is usually ground on a relay. Not that I question his expertise just want to make sure before starting to cut wires.
Conecting this way I guess I also eliminate the blue/black wire to enable headlight on/off switch.
Thanks in advance
Peter

The 85 and 86 terminals are the coil terminals that trip the relay. In my testing hot and ground don't matter, either way will trip the terminal.
On the blue/black wire, if you have a 78-79 I think, not sure, I don't have one, Leaving the blue/black unhooked leaves just the on/off switch controlling the lights.
On the later bikes I think hooking the blue/black to the red/yellow wire. This bypasses the safety relay and sends power to the RLU. from there the RLU sends power to the dimmer switch. At the RLU, to bypass the RLU unplug it and jumper the blue/black to the yellow/blue. You headlight will be on all the time. Adding a on/off switch between the dimmer switch and the RLU lets you turn the headlight off while starting.
Leo

The 85 and 86 terminals are the coil terminals that trip the relay. In my testing hot and ground don't matter, either way will trip the terminal.
On the blue/black wire, if you have a 78-79 I think, not sure, I don't have one, Leaving the blue/black unhooked leaves just the on/off switch controlling the lights.
On the later bikes I think hooking the blue/black to the red/yellow wire. This bypasses the safety relay and sends power to the RLU. from there the RLU sends power to the dimmer switch. At the RLU, to bypass the RLU unplug it and jumper the blue/black to the yellow/blue. You headlight will be on all the time. Adding a on/off switch between the dimmer switch and the RLU lets you turn the headlight off while starting.
Leo

Thanks for responding Leo, I was kind of hopping to get your attention.
I have another thread going about my wiring setup, I can use all the help I can get, so feel free to join in:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28274
Thanks, Peter

Back