Mid-Control Help...Your pic's needed!

BMell

XS650 Member
Reaction score
All right guys I have been a creeper here for some time and yes I am building my own bike. Now the bike has been built of spare change. So it is a few pennies' here and few pennies' there. I want to do a build thread but need to get a camera first. So with that said I have a few questions to through out there. The main thing I want to figure out in foot controls. I will not be running forward controls (I am only 5'7") I plan on running mid controls. I really like G&L set up but the cost is out of my range. So I move on the step two build them my self. I want to see some pictures of what people are running for mid controls on hard tailed bikes. Also how wide or how far do they stick out from the bike? So the more people show of their set ups the happier I will be. THANKS!!!!!!

After controls it's on to wiring and ridding. I plan on doing kick start with a REG/REC combo but can't find screws yet.

Most guys that make mids use the stock exhaust mounting points as a start. I used 1/4 plate and 3/4 square, with some anderson style pegs. Just kinda made them where they felt right for me.

Attachments

• bikes 002.jpg
    bikes 002.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 674
  • bike done 013.jpg
    bike done 013.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 537
How wide do those stick out from the frame? also i noticed every one has controls that can bend....What has anyone heard about fixed mid controls?

a_robotham
I was think of the same write up but for the life of me could not rememeber. THANKS!!! since one of the stock brackets was bent i think they meet the side yard demons (went to the side yard, not to come back) but i plan on putting toegther a set of plans that people can use to make mid set ups like mine when i am done. Would people like this?

Couldn't hurt, not everyone wants the cookie cutter style that uses the stock pegs. The only problem I see not using the folding pegs is that if you ever dump/tip it over they might bend. My Triumph had non-folding pegs and I had to re bend them a couple of times thanks to my kids dumping over the bike twice.

here is a shot of how i mounted mine
just weld 2 bolts and make sure the front one is inline with the down tube behind the motor the the pegs will be in the same position as they where originally.

this way your shifter is already lined up and you just need to weld a sleeve for the original brake mechanism to mount in

SNB13315.jpg

HELLO Y E S ! :)

you can email direct your print/plans..... I'm like waisted on this mid control set up, your plans would very much help our Sons project move forward.

cardfg@sympatico.ca as I'm not good at finding my way back to this web site on mid's eh. Computers & me, :( :(

THANK YOU, if you can K ?

Fraser

I didn't draw plans. They're made from plate steel and square stock. Here's a closer photo if that helps. As far as your master cylinder is concerned,(no need to PM) it depends on your bars and your caliper choice. I'm running drag bars with the low profile master.

Attachments

• rsz_bikes_002.jpg
    rsz_bikes_002.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 334
SWEET, THANK YOU . . .
I'm new here eh ? And I'm blown away on this web site, like I'll bet getting major back pain sitting reading tis night for sure :) lol

I'm I looking at Mikes 08-4002 master then Tech 7 ?

If you want fixed mid controls you'll need to make sure they are far enough forward to miss the kickstart when you try starting.

BMell, in your first post you mentioned screws. Are the screws you need the nylon screws for the brushes? There is a guy selling them on Ebay. I think they where $5 for 4.

If you want to keep it real simple you can run your mids like the fong bros do. This is my bike with like mid set up,it makes it real easy to use your stock stuff also. footpegs,break assemblies(break stay,and break rod,light switch) puts everything back to where it was on a stock bike. If you use clip from TC bros.:thumbsup:
I dont know how to insert pics here,but you can see my bike in the pictures section. My album name is ( 82 Heritage)

in my opinion, you put the ugliest part of the old frame back onto an otherwise clean frame. It looks like a lazy afterthought, especially on a rigid.

Thanks for posting the pic for me, sorry you feel that way about the frame. This is my first build so I was trying to keep it simple, and at my ability level, so I went this route.Perhaps in the next build I will come up with something a little cleaner looking.Also I didnt have the brake pedal on the bike yet...lol, but everything did go back together just like stock.

Back