I had my valves resurface, should I still use them?...

pdxxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
After reading posts about engine rebuilds on this site, I had the opinion that grinding the valves and cutting the valve seats was optimal. And after getting that done at a machine shop($20), I've read a couple posts saying lap only unless necessary. Search : stellite -on this forum.
They are all in spec with the manual, should I still use these valves?:doh:

Last edited:
Hey, pdxxs650. If you're concerned about maximum longevity, new valves are the way to go. But resurfacing valve faces and stems is acceptable for average street riding. The valve faces may pocket after 8-10k miles, but I'd rather have the valves wear out than the seats...

Actually I had a first oversize bore, head cleaning and valves/seats - $130, but the valves and seats portion was $20-30.

pdxxs650, it looks like you're talking about this thread. Twomany you say that "You can safely grind off a couple thousands (.001") and still have the stellite surface"

If you have the valves resurfaced will they always take off enough to lose the hardened surface?

If he is building for average street riding and uses them for several thousand miles, what would you look for to know they need to be replaced?

Ugly girl maybe? The kind with a few bruises (from being poked with 10 foot poles).

I see reason to trust TooMany on this and if they're going to do what he predicts, I would look for new respectable ones. Your valves are skanks, to keep the current theme.

Back